battery placement

Guys, I run an 03 ranger 519 vx and I'm considering adding a fourth battery to it . This hull sits low ( on the back end ) in the water naturally and Im concerned adding another 86lbs back there is going to be a problem . Im a big guy and fish alone 90% of the time . Id like to get opinions and suggestions from those of you who have considered or addressed this issue . Also if I went with the 4th bat could it be placed in one of the forward compartments ( for weight balance ) without long term problems . Thanks all

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Heavy batteries in forward compartments are not really a good idea. The forward section of the boat takes more pounding in waves/wakes, and the compartment floors aren’t sufficiently reinforced to handle such a strain. Without knowing your exact situation or desires, maybe consider going to lithium batteries, or at least one lithium, in the stern. An all-lithium trolling battery setup would be ideal, especially the lighter 50ah versions. Obviously, there’s a cost factor there. A mix of lithium and lead-acid batteries would be possible, but brings in other questions.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    ttt

Not a 519 but a 2001 520DVX. I have 4 blue top Optima , 2 @10'pp blades and 8" jack plate . I am 6'1" @270 lbs and my boat doesn't have any problems. 2 batteries port and 2 starboard.
    Hope this helps.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

5. Member
    I run 4 group 31's in the back of my 462, two on each side.... maybe a tad slower out of the hole and on top but no issues otherwise. But if your really that concerned about weight, go lithium

6. Banned
    What are you adding the 4th battery for, 36v Trolling motor or just another one for accessories?

7. Member
    thanks for the reply's guys . I'm trying to make a decision whether to step up to a 36v TM and sad to say lithium's are financially out of the question ...

8. Banned
    If you go with a 36 volt TM you can use 3 group 27s, they weigh about 50 lbs instead of 80+ so that would save you some weight.

9. Member
    I second what grumpy said this is how mine was. I switched to iconic lithium’s and am so happy I did. With a 7 year life span, it doesn’t make since not to go lithium. Just the three for the trolling. Went AGM on the main battery. 3 birds, and ultrex.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oprod View Post
    I second what grumpy said this is how mine was. I switched to iconic lithium’s and am so happy I did. With a 7 year life span, it doesn’t make since not to go lithium. Just the three for the trolling. Went AGM on the main battery. 3 birds, and ultrex.
    That's all they last is 7 years? They would never be worth the money if that is the case, I get 4-5 years out of Walmart batteries.

11. Member
    I also have an 04 519 vx. But I have a 200 SHO which is right at the max weight allowed on the transom. I run 4 batteries and don’t have any issues. 3 31 series and a cranking battery. It made little to no difference in the ride or how deep the boat sat in the water. I have a 36volt ultrex and it moves the boat very well and lasts all day.

12. Member
    I had a 519 SVS and added a 4th battery - tray installed on the prop pad storage area - no issues - I would go for it as you cannot have to much power.

13. Member
    I dropped 133 lbs going all Ionic lithium http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....349&highlight=
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    lost 160lbs in my Ranger going to Impulse lithium cranking and trolling. tremendous holeshot difference and picked up 2 mph overall after jackplate reajustment.