1. Member
    Smallmouth should move up anytime, I'd definitely try some moving baits

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Brinson View Post
    Smallmouth should move up anytime, I'd definitely try some moving baits
    Really??? This early ?

3. Member
    Yes Sir

56degrees yesterday. Caught 18 smallmouth and spots before the rain hit at 11. Great day!
    Gambler Intimidator

5. Member
    Any updates on the lake condition since the storms passed through?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFryKY View Post
    Any updates on the lake condition since the storms passed through?
    main lake is pretty clear from burnside to white oak. That’s as far as we ran today. Creeks are stained to muddy farther you go back. Some small floating debris, just saw a couple prop killers floating. We caught a few decent largemouth in back of creeks shallow.

7. Member
    Thanks for the reply. Heading that way sometime this week and hoping to catch a few.

Had a trip tuesday, caught twelve we some decent size mixed in. Fished around birds all day and caught em on a bunch of different baits. 55 degree water
    Gambler Intimidator

9. Member
    Fished about 6 hours yesterday. Two fat smallmouth as close to 18” as you could get without being keepers lol. Caught some nice largemouth shallow still. Dirt shallow.

10. Member
    It’s been good past 2-3 weeks no doubt. Used livescope on em for first time - that was cool

11. Member
    Fish are biting good

12. Member
    You all using live bait, float-n-fly, or ?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    You all using live bait, float-n-fly, or ?
    cranking for me

14. Member
    Cranking and spinnerbaits

15. Member
    Thanks. Boat is put away for the year, reels cleaned/lubed/spooled, ready for spring. I always seem to try Cumberland too early, like late OCT, and expect the fishing gods to smile on me...guess I gotta fish later in the year. Tight lines.

Are the fish still biting good down there? Was there a lot of rain there last night?

17. Member
    They bit good couple days ago. We struggled today- caught a few . Rain - not much, maybe 20 minutes around 3 am. I was kinda hoping for run it’s - didn’t happen

18. Member
    We were down there last Wednesday and Thursday water temps still 54 warming to 56 I’d say that’s changing fast now. Was a little slow caught around 10 each day had to do a lot of moving around though would pick up 1 or 2 at each stop.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

19. Member
    Fished this past Sunday (1/2/22) and caught about 20 fish, smallmouth and largemouth, only managed 2 keeper smallmouth though, caught a lot of short fish. This was a day after all the heavy rain and there were a lot of run-in's. I tried fishing run-in's hoping to catch some bass in them, no luck on catching bass (smallmouth, largemouth, spots) in the run-in's... However I fished one run-in at the back of a cove, and when I say run-in, this was basically a waterfall, heavy water coming in. I casted back into where the water was flowing in and it felt like a freight train hit, I hooked up and for the first few seconds thought I had a world record smallmouth hooked up, until it pulled so much drag I almost had no line left on my spool. Then I got it up beside the boat and realized I had about a 20 pound striper, I landed it and released it. Next cast, threw back into the same waterfall and had another hit like a freight train that broke my line on the hook set. Re-tied, threw back into waterfall, hooked up again, another huge striper, got it to the side of the boat and it broke my line. I then saw big swirls around the waterfall and shad flickering. I decided to move on because I didn't have tackle/line strong enough for striper and was tired of losing bass lures. But I thought this was crazy, I didn't know striper schooled up like that where waterfalls/run-in's were flowing into the lake. Anyone else ever had a similar experience?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke512 View Post
    Fished this past Sunday (1/2/22) and caught about 20 fish, smallmouth and largemouth, only managed 2 keeper smallmouth though, caught a lot of short fish. This was a day after all the heavy rain and there were a lot of run-in's. I tried fishing run-in's hoping to catch some bass in them, no luck on catching bass (smallmouth, largemouth, spots) in the run-in's... However I fished one run-in at the back of a cove, and when I say run-in, this was basically a waterfall, heavy water coming in. I casted back into where the water was flowing in and it felt like a freight train hit, I hooked up and for the first few seconds thought I had a world record smallmouth hooked up, until it pulled so much drag I almost had no line left on my spool. Then I got it up beside the boat and realized I had about a 20 pound striper, I landed it and released it. Next cast, threw back into the same waterfall and had another hit like a freight train that broke my line on the hook set. Re-tied, threw back into waterfall, hooked up again, another huge striper, got it to the side of the boat and it broke my line. I then saw big swirls around the waterfall and shad flickering. I decided to move on because I didn't have tackle/line strong enough for striper and was tired of losing bass lures. But I thought this was crazy, I didn't know striper schooled up like that where waterfalls/run-in's were flowing into the lake. Anyone else ever had a similar experience?
    Never realized stripers would do that, but have to believe shad were there as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast