2004 2.5L Carb to EFI Conversion - Knock Sensor Question

Looks like I waited to long to actually make the swap and my previous thread was closed.

Good Motor - 2004 200HP Carb Serial# OT946483 Quicksilver Reman Powerhead Part#813043R00 Serial # QSJG-44820S1

Donor Motor - 2000 200HP EFI Serial# OT143783

While finishing up swapping all the EFI stuff over to the carb motor, I noticed two things about the knock sensor. The knock sensor from the EFI motor was missing. Not to mention a new one is $350ish. Also, Mercury changed the design between 2000 and 2004. The 2000 style screwed onto a head stud. The 2004 style screws into the head.

Can the 2004 style sensor be used on the earlier detonation box? Can I just do away with the knock sensor all together? Suck it up and buy the 2000 style and swap a head bolt to the 2000 style so it can be installed?

A set of cut heads and some 93 may be in this motors future.

As always Guys, Thanks for any advice!

2. Member
    if they are same part numbers they should work , id use them on cdm ign mtrs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Totally different designs. 2004 200 Head.jpeg2000 200 EFI.jpeg

4. Member
    almost positive knock sensor does not go there does go on bolt
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... that plug is there to permit the cylinder head to be used for EARLY-style (drop in hole) temp sensors OR the later-style threaded-in temp sensors (as are used with the later single-butterfly, down-draft model engines).

Knock sensor should still be on a head bolt.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks guys. New head stud mounted knock sensor on the way.

7. Member
    Got it all together. Runs good on the hose at idle, but have no timing advance. Trigger tests good, 1200-1300 ohms. Any ideas? Do you guys know of a way to test the control module?

8. Member
    I don’t know much about EFIs but do know they use a throttle position sensor that a carbed motor does not, is that installed on the new conversion and has it been tested.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have NO spark advance, make sure that the trigger is actually connected properly, shaft is set at correct length dimension, and that the trigger is advancing and retarding properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    That's correct Don. Zero spark advance. The trigger coils test good per the manual. The stem is adjusted correctly. I can grab the linkage with the engine running and see the timing retard. I have another trigger here from the donor motor I will try. The donor motor has a brand new stator and trigger installed so it lead me to believe I was chasing the previous owners ghosts.

TPS has been tested. Made a small adjustment to fine tune.

The control module was replaced. No change.

11. Member
    Could the detonation module cause zero spark advance?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It could retard the timing- unlikely it is causing ZERO advance, though. ADI ignition it's a separate device and can be removed (completely). Not so easy with CDM ignition (which utilizes an ignition module).