It finally happened

I knew the day eventually would come, I went to a lake i frequently fish, it's been about a month since I had my boat out due to neck surgery. I was out of my normal routine for some reason. In a hurry I think, I go to launch the boat. Yes. I have an ulterra. I forgot to undo my shaft stabilizer. just as the boat goes off trailer I went to deploy the trolling motor, right away I heard the fault alarm. I knew right away what I didn't do, I said son of a B*&%^. So I look around and I was the only one at the ramp, but homes on both sides of the ramp. so screw it stripped down to my drawers and went swimming, water was a bit chilly not to bad though 67 degrees. this was the 1st time it happened, I always new it would happen eventually, just glad the water wasn't in the 40s or 50s. lol. just a short story to remind people with an ulterra. lol
    2022 1875 Lund Renegade XS
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

2. Member
    I have had to swim out to my boat several times over the years. I carry a spare life vest in the truck just in case.

3. Member
    pretty good idea, thanks
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

4. Member
    Times like that it's nice to have a ladder!
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

5. Member
    that's funny, because I forgot all about my ladder, lol I wasn't to far out 30-40 ft away.
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

6. Member
    That is why I would never want to use the TM for that.

7. Member
    That was one of my concerns about getting an Ulterra. Knowing me I would launch one day without turning on the power and watch my boat sail away. With the Ultrex I don't have that temptation.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    That was one of my concerns about getting an Ulterra. Knowing me I would launch one day without turning on the power and watch my boat sail away. With the Ultrex I don't have that temptation.
    only happened 1 time in 3 yrs so not bad, the bad thing about Indiana is all the public ramps seem to have metal piers and posts, and take the chance of scratches on the boat. it's a good trade off.
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Garmin Force TM
    (2) Garmin 12"

9. Southern Cross Crappie
    1 time in 40 years for me. Boat drifted off because I didn't tie it off good. Water temp was COLD! I'd guess under 50. Butt A$$ naked I had to go get it. Lucky for me, I was able to wade the whole way out to get it. I went home after I got it loaded back up. I think the air temp was prolly 40 that day. 30 years ago and it ain't happened again!

10. Member
    Hehehe....fear not as thou aren't alone....

Did the same a month ago......

Clipped the hook of my rope onto the bow hook and the trailer.....I thought.

Backed the boat in until she's floating...... heard a "pop and plop".....

You guessed it....yep the latch on the hook of the rope connected to the boat wasn't quite locked....

Jump out of the truck as she begins to sloooooooowly float out to sea.

Dock's about 3' above the ramp...... jump up, pull myself omto the dock.... somewhere during this Olympic event I pulled my right adductor...........

Old man walk down the dock deciding whether to make the 6' jump....3' down and the 6' across.... to the moving front casting deck....

NO prob ....10 years ago......

However, I can easily visualize myself smashing my shin on the gunnel, or, if miraculously successful with this triple jump and hiitting the target, flying right off the other side....

Fortunately, some degree of experience and wisdom kicks in and I decide to just swim and go get her.....

After all, I was going to water test the ladder anyway, so why not.....it works beautifully.... 😉

11. Member
    Yep, been there done that. That feeling you get when you see your boat floating off and away is unforgettable. Happened to me for the first time a few months ago. Similar scenario, only boat in the area. Swimming after the boat wasn't the issue. It was swimming after the boat with gators. That served as good motivation for me to swim fast.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

12. Member
    Just makes me think how awesome a spoof of the commercial from years ago for that motor would be. The one where they guy launches his boat and then smuggly pushes the button and everyone's jaws drop. The spoof would be him pushing the button and then a whole slew of bleeped out expletive's, followed by a swim.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Shinkage

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou22 View Post
    Yep, been there done that. That feeling you get when you see your boat floating off and away is unforgettable. Happened to me for the first time a few months ago. Similar scenario, only boat in the area. Swimming after the boat wasn't the issue. It was swimming after the boat with gators. That served as good motivation for me to swim fast.
    Hehehe....😉👍

"shrinkage"....Hehehe.....

Good stuff in this thread.....hehehe

15. Banned
    That's bound to happen, not a good Idea to use your trolling motor to deploy the boat when your not on it.

16. Member
    Never had that problem, but did have to strip down to my undies and push the boat off a sand bar on Tuesday. Water was about 67 degrees so not the end of the world. Dam this river has been low all year.

17. Member
    Rather than swim, keep a pole with a treble bait and snag the boat. Saw Scott Martin have to do that years ago on his tv show.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

18. Mudguppy
    Maybe it's a good thing the auto deploy unit was not an option for my boat...

19. Member
    I use a rope.
    Wave Therapy

20. Member
    I have an Ulterra, and have thought about doing this to show off. But, it’s way too glitchy for me to try it. On good days, I love the Ulterra. Some days though, not so much. Last time out it was working great. I had it on autopilot just cruising along, then used the remote to turn slightly. And it kept turning, and turning, and turning. The motor rotated around about 4 times while I was trying to stop it with the remote that wouldn’t respond. Finally had to pull the plug before it pulled the cable apart from being wound around the shaft. After plugging the motor back in and resetting it, no issues the rest of the day. I’ve a couple of other “ghost in the machine” incidences too. I love the Ulterra 99% of the time, but there’s no way I would try to use without being on the boat.

I use one of these for launching and recovery, they are pretty slick…
    http://www.drottoproducts.com/