Question I have a Triton trailer ( tube construction)

I have lost power to a section of my trailer lights. I have power out of the 4-way plug. Wires run inside tubes. On right or driver side I have no side lights, trailer/running light or light bar across back of trailer. I do have brake and turn signal lights. It appears that power is lost inside tube at first side light. What is there to know about getting to wire connections inside tubes or replacing wires in tubes. The access holes appear small? Thanks

2. Member
    I just went through a similar deal with my Triton trailer. I had a bad spot in my taillight wire along the same stretch of trailer tubing that would short out against the trailer frame and blow a fuse in my truck. The side marker lights just put out of the trailer so you can access the wiring behind them.

I cut the taillight wire at the front side marker light and at the marker light near my front trailer step to get the bad section of wire out of the circuit. Then I ran a new wire through the tube and spliced it in between where I cut the old wire. I used small fiberglass rods to push the wire from the tongue to the back of the trailer tubing. I tried using flexible fish tape but it wouldn’t go through the tubing without balling up. You need something pretty rigid to push the wire through.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I just went through a similar deal with my Triton trailer. I had a bad spot in my taillight wire along the same stretch of trailer tubing that would short out against the trailer frame and blow a fuse in my truck. The side marker lights just put out of the trailer so you can access the wiring behind them.

I cut the taillight wire at the front side marker light and at the marker light near my front trailer step to get the bad section of wire out of the circuit. Then I ran a new wire through the tube and spliced it in between where I cut the old wire. I used small fiberglass rods to push the wire from the tongue to the back of the trailer tubing. I tried using flexible fish tape but it wouldn’t go through the tubing without balling up. You need something pretty rigid to push the wire through.
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my side marker has a single small wire that goes over to tube and goes in a 1/2 inch hole where all the other wires are. Only access I see is the 1/2 inch hole. I have been able pull side marker wire connection up to hole and get connector out of hole. The wire it connects to I can't move. This is going to be a tough one.

4. Member
    I took the trailer to an independent but well-respected shop and they were able to get wire connections out of the 1/2 inch access holes. It was a bad connection which they reworked and all is good now. Tube trailers with wires in the tubes are not the easiest fix.