Photo viewing software

I’ve dusted off the camera and using it a little again. Microsoft photo program on Windows 10 blows. What are you guys using to view pics? I have editing software but I want a quick viewer to weed out the bad photos and see which ones I want to keep.

2. Member
    "Fast Raw Viewer" works very well for viewing on my Mac. Maybe it's also available for PC.

Loads raw files super fast.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

2003 Bass Tracker PT185
    Lowrance Elite 9TI X2
    90 HP Mercury ELPTO
    Laser II Prop 20P

3. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    irfanview

4. Member
    LightRoom

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Curious, what is the issue with Photos in Win10, seems to work fine for me before I start with Lightroom or Denoise AI
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I’ve dusted off the camera and using it a little again. Microsoft photo program on Windows 10 blows. What are you guys using to view pics? I have editing software but I want a quick viewer to weed out the bad photos and see which ones I want to keep.
    Like Bdog, I'm curious what issue you have with the Windows 10 viewer? If all you need is to simply flip through the images and delete what you don't want, why is it not doing that? If it's because you want to rate or rearrange the images then Lightroom is the way to go, but for simply "weeding out" the MS viewer should work fine.
    Full blood Nikonian

7. Moderator
    The issue I am having is it tells me file is corrupt/non compatible when I try to open it. I can close photos and reopen it and try to reopen the exact same picture and it will open it sometimes. I thought maybe my flash card was bad but it happens when I try to open pictures from all sources (phone, trail cams, dslr etc). Also sometimes the program will try to open a photo and it’s just a blank screen no matter how long I wait. This is on a newer custom built pc with high end graphics card and lots of ram. Should have no issue with what I am trying to do.

8. Member
    That's strange, not sure what would cause that. The only thing that comes to mind is if you're trying to view raw files? I use LR but when I have used the Windows 10 viewer, it's always been after the files are converted to jpeg's.
    Full blood Nikonian

9. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Drawing a blank on what that could be also.

I use it to view photos in Raw format all the time with no issue
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

10. Member
    if I recall correctly, Windows Photos App doesn't natively support raw images but if you have a codec (driver) installed then it can. I'm guessing you do have a codec installed because of the editing software and that you said sometimes it will open. I would first think the codec isn't playing nice with Windows Photos App but since you aren't able to open other image files from other sources I wonder if the Windows Photo Viewer is the problem.
    If it were my computer I would first check Windows Update and see if there are any updates available for the Photos App, if so try that and see if it helps.
    If not, I would uninstall and reinstall the Photo App, unfortunately that isn't as easy as just any other program because it's a default Windows App and will require some command prompts to do. If you do decide to try the uninstall/reinstall route, here is an article I found explaining how to do that https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-r...in-windows-10/
    If that doesn't help, you could try installing a new codec for viewing raw images on the Windows Photos App, just search for RAW Image Extension in the Microsoft Store App.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder