Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling Motor Installation

When you order a new boat from the factory, is the trolling motor installed by Nitro or by the dealer?

Thanks

2. Member
    My Z19 Pro came from the factory with a TM. I saw another Z20 on the floor without a TM
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

At the Nitro factory...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

4. Member
    Just took delivery of my new 2022 Z21 XL a month ago. The Ghost TM was factory rigged and networked as were all the Lowrance electronics including Active Target. However, the Nitro factory just do the install. Does not mean it is all correct and there are no software updates or final configurations performed. You will need to update the software and perform all calibrations and finalize the configurations to get it all working together properly. I have already found a couple of issues with the factory install including the Active Target clamp to the TM shaft upside down (pointing up not down) and the 3-1 transducer installed on CH1 which will not read side scan (noted on page 27 of the install manual). I simply moved it to CH2 and put the in-hull ducer on CH1. The only new rigging the BPS installed and performed for mine were the Power Poles. They also fully configured the PP and set them up to work with all the electronics. I wish my BPS (Ashland VA) would have done all the rigging as I think they would have done a more complete job. They did assist with troubleshooting and confirming side scan issues as well and help with questions I have. I think the factory rushes through production and has time quota's they must meet. As a result, it's maybe 75% done but it is up to you and the dealer to review, confirm and complete the install. Hope this helps paint a full picture.

I have already found a couple of issues with the factory install including the Active Target clamp to the TM shaft upside down (pointing up not down) and the 3-1 transducer installed on CH1 which will not read side scan (noted on page 27 of the install manual).
    I doubt that the factory installs items like AT or LS transducers and Black Boxes.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

6. Member
    I know for a fact they installed my AT and all the Lowrance equipment including networking everything at the factory for my 2022 Z21Pro XL.

Ohhh, Z21 ProXL, missed that.... Yes, very likely...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

8. Member
    Mine was installed at the factory. The reason I asked is they installed an Ultrex instead of the Ghost I ordered. The dealer said the factory installed the wrong trolling motor and they would swap it out with the Ghost.

9. Member
    Mine was a factory installed ultrex, pro package boat. Anyone have issues with trolling motor bolts? Haven’t checked mine yet, but assuming they may be loose at this point, nearly every other fastener has worked itself loose at some point haha.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Yes every fastener should be check a couple times a year. My z8 was just screws...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Yes every fastener should be check a couple times a year. My z8 was just screws...
    Yeesh, not fun putting nylock fasteners on the trolling motor, but worth the effort.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

12. Member
    Just picked up my new z18 couple months ago. Yes, trolling motor was factory installed.

13. Member
    Agree with all of you on checking all fasteners. Motor and jackplate bolts, trolling motor, electronics, seats, trailer (calipers, storage box, lug nuts, spare, grease hubs). I have heard stories on all models and all of these items. I specifically requested the dealer go through everything for me before delivery and at the 10 hour service. The only thing I have found on my boat was one of vortex hub grease caps was loose. I now do a quick check before and after every trip.

14. Member
    If you fish ruff water the first thing I would do is remove the TM and trash the Isolator Bolts. Then install properly with a stainless bolt and fender washers thru the cap. Been too many TMs ripped of in big waves, and those rubber mounts are a weak link.

Quote Originally Posted by DavL View Post
    Agree with all of you on checking all fasteners. Motor and jackplate bolts, trolling motor, electronics, seats, trailer (calipers, storage box, lug nuts, spare, grease hubs). I have heard stories on all models and all of these items. I specifically requested the dealer go through everything for me before delivery and at the 10 hour service. The only thing I have found on my boat was one of vortex hub grease caps was loose. I now do a quick check before and after every trip.
    Make sure not to over tighten the plastic vortex caps, that's how they break.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

16. Member
    Fishysam - New boat/trailer now have the all aluminum caps. Glad they made that upgrade. Still you are right and I am careful not to over tighten.

17. Member
    As I posted above, my Ultrex was factory installed. It had a crushed transducer cable. The dealer is handling the repair through Minn Kota's authorized repair. Seems a bit convoluted but is being taken care of.

DavL, The plastic caps were replaced with the new aluminum caps through a recall.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

18. Member
    I just ordered my Z20 and the Ultrex would have been installed at the factory, but they put the gps puck in the rear. I asked that they move the puck to the bow so they have to install the TM at the dealer.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCS600 View Post
    I just ordered my Z20 and the Ultrex would have been installed at the factory, but they put the gps puck in the rear. I asked that they move the puck to the bow so they have to install the TM at the dealer.
    If you are referring to the puck that says minkota on it, that is not a gps puck, it is a heading sensor for the ultrex. Nothing to do with gps.
    Ted
    2021 Z19 Pro

20. Member
    Factory rigs most boats that come in, however if you have to order your boat you can skip the "factory rigging" if you'd rather your local dealer do it, and or if you want to do it yourself. Just make sure your dealer puts that in the order.

The way the XL's are coming is a prime example. The 2d and 2-1 are often on the wrong inputs as stated above. They mount the 2-1 xducer on the transom instead of the jackplate so you have a nice new boat with three unneeded holes in the transom. Also none of the Lowrance's have 20.3 installed so your Active Target isn't going to work the way it should, also the AT it's self needs an update, and the Ghost will as well. The AT box is wired to the fuse panel under the windshield, red & yellow leads so your master power switch is your wake up wire.

All my Nitros I've made sure what I wanted the factory to install and what they were "NOT" to install was on the sales quote, and the order sheet. Makes for a much better rigging I feel.

__________________________________________________ ____
    The wife said \"Buy a new boat, you\'ll catch more fish\". Mines broken!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast