Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Bet that pimple headed HS kid they task to do is a wizard at boat installations.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    I made today. Went to batteries + for 4 new batteries for my Phoenix. I asked them about installation. $15.00 for the job. I decided to save the money and do it myself. I have about 1 ounce of knowledge on electrical systems. I took a dozen photos before removing the cables. Still took me 2 hours of heavy lifting, a few choice words till the job was done. Now I have to take the old ones back. Tomorrow I'll wrestle the old ones into my truck. I should have taken the boat down and let them do it. Soooo much easier. So far this was my dumbest decision but wait. there are 3 more months till I start again.
    You are not alone and it sounds like you’ve learned from the experience.

I’ve needed multiple lessons along the way not sure the money saved was worth it as something else due to my lack of skills would get busted and need replaced so saving 15 Bucks ended up costing me 50 bucks more.

I pick my battles much better now days

You saved $15 and the hassle of returning the boat to the shop after discovering they butchered the job. 2 weeks of angry emails then finally doing it yourself anyhow to put the issue to bed.

Sounds like actually you made a very smart decision.

4. Member
    $15? I would let them do it and then double check their work. Worth it to me just to not have to lift the batteries.

If it’s that tough for you, buy the batteries first. Remove and install 1 battery at a time. Bring the four cores back for your refund last.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

6. Member
    I’ll do all the hooking and wiring, but for $15 is let me take 4 out and put 4 in. That’s a young mans job there. Lol

I wouldn’t let a shop replace my boat batteries and hook them up, I’d rather do it myself.

Possible scenario: “I had a shop replace my batteries. Now my boat doesn’t run, trim doesn’t work, trolling motor runs backwards, etc.” Then posts on BBC asking for help. Now ya got to troubleshoot. Might as well do the job yourself.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Definitely do it my self in that scenario. $15 sound too good to be true ? There's your answer. A whole lot cheaper to do it yourself and do it right the first time. I've had to redo some work done by boat shops just to get it done right. When I do my batteries I refer to a diagram I made and it works perfectly every time.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    It ain't the money, it's the chance, and a good one, that you will launch next time and something doesn't work or runs backward, and you have no clue why. Then the installer won't be the one up schitz creek, it will be you.

10. Member
    $15 is a good deal, but you learned something in the process. I would say it worked out better for you. Now you know that if you have a problem you can fix it.

11. Member
    Tag and ziptie cables properly. Let the shop remove and replace batteries. Too freaking old to be lifting that weight from below deck, bent over.
    Tell them, that's it, just replace, DO NOT let them hook them up. Should not be a problem to reconnect right cables to proper battery.

15 bucks is cheap enough but now you KNOW it's done right. If you have an issue on the water you're quite familiar with it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    At my age im not lifting batteries anymore if i dont have to .
    This for sure

14. Member
    went there the other day to get a battery for the car remote. they offered to install for $20!!!! too steep for me

15. Member
    If it makes ya feel better I was on Wilma Rudolph yesterday, I broke down and bought a new phone at AT&T. They are real close to Batteries +. The lights were out at Dunbar Cave and the bypass. It was a total zoo. So, I had to make a left out of AT&T to go back to I24. It was a good reminder why I don’t go on that road after noon if I can help it. I bet it took me ten mins to make that left, that’s without a boat.

I do the batteries myself, but those 31 series are no fun! I might drag the boat and let them do it if I could be there when they opened. Their parking lot is tiny and there isn’t a good way to get out once traffic builds.

16. Member
    Color coded tape is your friend.

17. Member
    Ain't no way anyone is messin with my boat batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Loweman11 View Post
    Good decision, but to make it easier so you don’t forget where each wire goes, put them on a ziptie and label them to which battery they go to.
    +1. That's what I've always done.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    I hope you meant $15.00 for the whole job, not each ($60.00). For $15.00 I would have them do it and then check every connection before you drove away. If its $60.00 for the whole job I would do it myself and buy some fishing gear with the money I saved.

20. Member
    I do it myself.........and will do it as long as the ol' carcass allows me. It is good to see the insides of the battery compartment every couple of years. I usually go in there a couple times a year to look and inspect connections anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast