Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The RT188 has been the finest boat, with the TM down, that I've ever fished from. I can put 15 socked rods in the rod box, tons of tackle storage. Fished a N AL lake this week with boat outside. Yesterday morning, a 3 hour Thunderstorm come over our cabin. When it broke, I was surprised to find only the engine compartment had leakage because it has no gasket. I've owned a bunch of boats over 40 years and have been extremely satisfied with this one.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

2. Member
    I love my Ranger 198p. I went from aluminum to fiberglass, then back to aluminum. My fiberglass boat was sweet but I just got sick of worrying about it. I don't beat up my boat now but I also don't freak out if I bump a dock or something. As far as stability my 198p is really good. My fiberglass may have had the edge by a little but its marginal. My local lake gets 3 foot rollers in it all the time and I don't have any issues fishing out of the ranger. I do get sprayed some if I try to take those waves on over 30 mph. The only negative is the ranger doesn't have a padded deck. Only thing I miss from my old boat on those long days. If you are trying to stay under 30k though a 198p could be harder to find. I think you would be happy with a 188p as well if you're not worried about the extra 10mph.

3. Member
    Polarkraft 195 has one of the biggest decks on any tin and that's why I went that way.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    The RT188 has been the finest boat, with the TM down, that I've ever fished from. I can put 15 socked rods in the rod box, tons of tackle storage. Fished a N AL lake this week with boat outside. Yesterday morning, a 3 hour Thunderstorm come over our cabin. When it broke, I was surprised to find only the engine compartment had leakage because it has no gasket. I've owned a bunch of boats over 40 years and have been extremely satisfied with this one.
    I feel the same about my RT. It would be hard to beat. The only downside is it being sold to JM. I am not a fan of his.

Looking at your signature I see you have a 19 inch Spitfire and a 20 inch Laser. Are both of these like a new one with no prop work done and what are your impressions of both...out if the hole, top end, etc. I dinged my Laser on a shell bed. I am debating replace, repair. Whatever....
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

5. Member
    Yes, both were bought new, are in excellent condition, and are unmodified. The X7 brought this hull to life at hole #3. Great back of the boat lift and the boat cuts water behind the driving seats. The Laser is 1mph faster at 46.7, but slips bad in the turns. I don't discern any hole shot difference, but the X7 will hold on plane down to 2500rpm. I haven't put the Laser back on the boat since I bought the X7. 45.7 light and 44.7 loaded and handles most excellently. The X7 is expensive, but worth every penny. Repair you Laser and buy an X7
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Quote Originally Posted by rangerguy35 View Post
    I love my Ranger 198p. I went from aluminum to fiberglass, then back to aluminum. My fiberglass boat was sweet but I just got sick of worrying about it. I don't beat up my boat now but I also don't freak out if I bump a dock or something. As far as stability my 198p is really good. My fiberglass may have had the edge by a little but its marginal.
    Same here.
    Much more mentally comfortable in my tin.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

7. Member
    Tracker 195 is wider than most and the revolution hull will handle bumpy better. I have a 115 on the back and a tournament load run 48 with the x7 prop. Partner has a 198 with a 150 his might be faster but mine sips fuel and fishes bigger. There are better options but not under 30 k.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    Tracker 195 is wider than most and the revolution hull will handle bumpy better. I have a 115 on the back and a tournament load run 48 with the x7 prop. Partner has a 198 with a 150 his might be faster but mine sips fuel and fishes bigger. There are better options but not under 30 k.
    Should have got the 150 hp.

9. Member
    I fished out of a Tracker 190 for 9 years and went to a Triton X18 (188 hull). The 188 is more stable and has a little more foot room up front.

This is all great info. Thank you!

11. Member
    I love my Tracker 190. This is it's third season and has handled the wind, on the Kansas lakes, very well. Yes, a bigger, 24V trolling motor is a must. Stability wise, I'm very happy. And the cost was well under your target even with upgrading the a 24V TM and addition of a front fish finder. Although I haven't fished out of one, a Tracker 195 is wider yet and has to be even more stable

Yes, I have the 90HP Merc. Most of the lakes I fish have lots of standing timber. I rarely open it up. Many times I've been caught unaware by standing trees not seen. It's not a good feeling
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

Quote Originally Posted by whatroads View Post
    Yes, I have the 90HP Merc. Most of the lakes I fish have lots of standing timber. I rarely open it up. Many times I've been caught unaware by standing trees not seen. It's not a good feeling
    If I may suggest. I would and did run an aluminum prop for the exact reason you stated. Those impact forces are transmitted somewhere. I would rather bust a cheap prop, than damaging the crank shaft, or connecting rods, or drive shaft,...
    That's my 2 cents.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    If I may suggest. I would and did run an aluminum prop for the exact reason you stated. Those impact forces are transmitted somewhere. I would rather bust a cheap prop, than damaging the crank shaft, or connecting rods, or drive shaft,...
    That's my 2 cents.
    The center hub of the prop will protect the lower unit from damage if the prop hits something.

14. Member
    nice tracker listed on this site for 26900 in ga

Quote Originally Posted by BassmanZF6 View Post
    The center hub of the prop will protect the lower unit from damage if the prop hits something.
    Don't bet on that! I have seen it first hand too often as that shock is transmitted to other parts of the motor.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

16. Member
    The tracker 190 is not near as stable as the 198p but the 195 tracker is wider infront of the console and much more stable....my partners 198 seized and we finished the year off in my tracker he even commented how much more stable it was and handled waves better.

17. Member
    Xpress H 18 with a 115 SHO will be right at 30 or just under and has a 93" beam and will run 50 mph. I have the X 18 which is basically the same hull and its very stable and plenty of room. Buddy has the Ranger 198 P and must say its a great fishing platform as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12