Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleaning the inside of a prop?

I had to pull my prop to clear some braid that had gotten wrapped. Always had this done at the dealer previously with regular maintenance.

Got me thinking about the black deposits that are inside the prop body. I am going to pull the prop again this week and properly torque the nut and re-lube.

Can I just use simple green to clean the black deposits?

Should I clean this stuff off?

What is it?

2. Member
    Yes you can.You can also use some stain steel pad.
    But it will come back. It is the exuast side.

Oven cleaner works pretty good

4. Member
    Thank you. I appreciate the help guys.

5. Member
    Not sure what outboard you have. I run a Merc and I use the quik kleen and kwik care fuel treatment. It keeps my prop pretty darned clean. I have noticed when I quit using it for a tank or two of gas the carbon soot residue begins to reappear.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Gunk Engine Degreaser works pretty dang good too. I like it in the squirt bottle better because it doesn't splatter as badly as the aerosol version.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Not sure what outboard you have. I run a Merc and I use the quik kleen and kwik care fuel treatment. It keeps my prop pretty darned clean. I have noticed when I quit using it for a tank or two of gas the carbon soot residue begins to reappear.
    ^ ditto ..... same results ....... but with an Evinrude eTec running their XD100 oil and in the fuel their CarbonGuard and 2+4 fuel treatment. I've also noticed that as soon as I re-dope the fuel with the 2 gas products, the soot that appeared starts disappearing again too.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

7. Member
    2013 Merc 150 ProXS

I have used Kwickleen and Sta-Bil Marine 360 in every tank since I have owned it in 2016. I have never cleaned this part of the prop and feel that it looks pretty good all things considered.

My OCD (should say CDO) has kicked in and want to clean it up now.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Fuel Additives is a hot topic with many with everyone at the two extremes. One side says they are a total waste of money and they have unkind comments about the other sides intelligence. A clean prop hub has been my experience when I use the additives (Kwikleen and Ring Free Plus) so I know it works. I also believe that its the individuals money and if you don't want to use the stuff then don't use it. I shouldn't insult your intelligence because of your decision which only effects you! To me the benefits of additives aren't a clean prop hub, although I do like it. If the additives keep the soot from building up on the hub then the soot isn't building up in my engine, especially caking around the piston rings:-)

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    If the additives keep the soot from building up on the hub then the soot isn't building up in my engine, especially caking around the piston rings:-)
    This is pretty much my thinking also.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    a dose of carbon guard or sea foam every fill up would stop that likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Sounds like you've got all the advice you need above re: cleaning the prop.

FWIW, the soot (along with almost all of black smoke) disappeared when I switched from Quicksilver to Pennzoil XLF in mine. The only additive I use is Star-Tron as I have to run e10 in the boat.

As for whether the oil switch was a good idea or not: After doing a lot of reading, best I could come up with is that Quicksilver and Yamalube 2 stroke oils have large concentrations of molybdenum as an additive which causes smoke and soot buildup, while Pennzoil and most (all?) others do not. In light of all the guys who've run the litany of TC-W3 rated oils in much higher performance motors than mine for years without any ill side effects, I believe the additive package in the XLF (or any other TC-W3 rated oil) is more than adequate to lubricate my motor and would rather use it vs one that creates a ton of carbon buildup since I know that the latter can cause issues over time.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    a dose of carbon guard or sea foam every fill up would stop that likely
    My experience is Seafoam in every tank fill and no build up.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

13. Member
    Why would you want to do this ? It's like cleaning your tail pipe on your truck.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    Why would you want to do this ? It's like cleaning your tail pipe on your truck.
    If your prop is holding carbon deposits, so is the rest of the engine. Throw some seafoam in the fuel and everything stays clean.

15. Member
    if it is a two stroke buy a better quality of oil an you wont have to clean it.

16. Member
    Switch to Pennzoil XLF and there will hardly be anything there. The DFI oil caused a lot of buildup on mine, even when using additives.

17. Member
    I have never cleaned 5he inside of a prop In 40 years of owning outboard eng. can’t see the point in that . It’s not going to make the motor run any better or worse .

18. Member
    A couple of reasons:
    - I want to shine it up like the rest of my boat
    - I was worried that the build up might cause prop imbalance and lead to vibration
    - I have never cleaned it
    - I want to use it as a gauge what is going on in the motor so starting from a clean canvas is important to me

All of these reasons may not make a difference in the world to the performance but might to my peace of mind.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    Switch to Pennzoil XLF and there will hardly be anything there. The DFI oil caused a lot of buildup on mine, even when using additives.
    This is interesting. I will research this. I have only used the recommended DFI since I have owned it.

20. Member
    That carbon build up is getting in your engine too. Switch to Pennzoil XLF and the inside of your prop will start to look much better after the first gallon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast