AVX trailer brakes

Couple questions on a 2021 1880. Surge brakes are working a little too well as they locked up every time I tried backing it into the shop today after pulling it out to wash it. There is a 3/4” lip, but this is the 3rd time backing into the shop, albeit with a different vehicle this time and the brakes kept locking up. I finally had to fab a steel piece to keep the surge brakes from doing there thing. Any idea what is happening here?

Second thing is my 2016 3500 Ram is not recognizing the electric brakes which I assume the trailer has. The boat has a 7 pin plug, but not all 7 are in use just 5 of them. If the trailer has electric brakes, what should I look for. Thanks in advance for the help.
    2021 Vexus 1880 Ghost TM and 12” Carbons

2. Member
    Be sure your back up lights are tied into the truck connector. I think it's the center one terminal.
    It does not have electric brakes, they have surge brakes. The reverse lights bypass the surge brakes.
    https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

3. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabman1880 View Post
    Couple questions on a 2021 1880. Surge brakes are working a little too well as they locked up every time I tried backing it into the shop today after pulling it out to wash it. There is a 3/4” lip, but this is the 3rd time backing into the shop, albeit with a different vehicle this time and the brakes kept locking up. I finally had to fab a steel piece to keep the surge brakes from doing there thing. Any idea what is happening here?

Second thing is my 2016 3500 Ram is not recognizing the electric brakes which I assume the trailer has. The boat has a 7 pin plug, but not all 7 are in use just 5 of them. If the trailer has electric brakes, what should I look for. Thanks in advance for the help.

Most all boats use "SURGE BRAKES" - electric brakes don't last long when you start submerging them in the lake :-)
    the "Surge Brakes" has Reverse Lock Out Feature. .. When your vehicle is placed in reverse (and you reserve lights come on). the surge brake is "Disabled" so the brakes do not come on..

if you have an issue with your reverse lights it could cause the brakes to be applied when backing up.
    You could also have a faulty contact somewhere in the wiring..

Check to make sure you have reverse lights come on.. if you are converting from a 7 pin to a 4 pin connection then your trailer will require a trailer brake lockout key " https://www.amazon.com/surge-brake-l...ke+lockout+key "

hope this help

4. Member
    Carry one of these. It can save you a lot of hassle if you have a problem backing up.
    https://www.bakesonline.com/back-up-...k-out-key.html
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

5. Member
    Thanks for all the help guys, I will check it out.
    2021 Vexus 1880 Ghost TM and 12” Carbons