Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Zero turn or sub compact tractor? 5 acres

We just purchased 5 acres out in the country. Its been cow pasture for years. It does have some trees and woods but the biggest portion is open. I know i am going to have to upgrade from my riding residential mower but I am trying to determine if I would be better of with a small sub compact tractor with a belly mower or just go with a 60 plus inch deck ZT. Anyone went one direction and wished they would have went the other? The front end loader attachment also appeals to me on the sub compact for small jobs around the property. Thoughts?
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

2. Member
    I mow four acres which consists of hillsides, timber, rocks, ditches, on and on. I own a 60” commercial grade Cub Cadet zero turn. Gonna be honest here, I’ve wanted a tractor type mower back for many years. With my type of property I need the versatility it offers, you may too

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    if you want a loader and/or other attachments the zero turn aint gonna git it
    but, be honest with yourself, how often will you really need a loader on 5 acres?
    you will mow at least every other week if you plan to keep it mowed and 5 acres will take a lot less time with the ZT.

on a side note,, where did you buy?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    if you want a loader and/or other attachments the zero turn aint gonna git it
    but, be honest with yourself, how often will you really need a loader on 5 acres?
    you will mow at least every other week if you plan to keep it mowed and 5 acres will take a lot less time with the ZT.

on a side note,, where did you buy?
    NE of Pryor. I agree with you as well on the "how often" question. LOL The little kid in me is trying to justify the tractor i think.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

5. GTB
    Cub Cadet ZT I’ve been moving my 5 acres with a 54 inch and I run over everything! Every year I just replace the blades. But it has held up great and still no holes in the deck from the sand or rocks.

6. Member
    we mow 4.5 acres weekly--have a grasshopper 72" and a bobcat 62" takes 1.5 hours grasshopper with front deck the best I have every used
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    NE of Pryor. I agree with you as well on the "how often" question. LOL The little kid in me is trying to justify the tractor i think.
    congrats on the acreage
    mowing absolutely sux when it's close to or over 100 degrees. we have a lot of those days in the summer,, i am REALLY glad i have my ZT on those days

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    I mow four acres which consists of hillsides, timber, rocks, ditches, on and on. I own a 60” commercial grade Cub Cadet zero turn. Gonna be honest here, I’ve wanted a tractor type mower back for many years. With my type of property I need the versatility it offers, you may too
    Having had both styles, I agree that belly mowers are much more versatile. Level, flat, and open a zero turn offers a few advantages, but in my view a strong traditional [belly] mower is kind of like 4wd in a truck: you might not always need it, but you’ll be glad you have it some of the time, because zero turns just can’t do everything.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Having had both styles, I agree that belly mowers are much more versatile. Level, flat, and open a zero turn offers a few advantages, but in my view a strong traditional [belly] mower is kind of like 4wd in a truck: you might not always need it, but you’ll be glad you have it some of the time, because zero turns just can’t do everything.
    but what they do they do waaaaaaay faster........

You need both . They are 2 different tools. If you are wanting to mow, get the z turn.

11. Member
    I have had a cub cadet tank 54" and a simplicity citation 61". Both stood up to farm abuse. I have a Gravely on the main farm and that goes through spindles. If you hit a rock/obstruction, there's a good chance the spindle will be destroyed.
    I mow a couple miles of ditches with my zt, and own a skidloader for any other work. Both do the job they are designed for. A compact will mow, but be slow, and will have a loader, but will be slow and undersized. I would get a zt and skidloader, rent if you can't find a cheap one.

12. Member
    For fields the tractor type mowers are a better choice IMO.

13. Member
    We’re kind of in the same boat. I bought about 30 acres but the area where the house will be is about 5. I’m getting a tractor for sure but for the grass around the house I actually may go with a riding lawnmower. I’m waiting to see how much grass there is once the driveway is done. My wife doesn’t mind helping mow and she’s used to a rider but I don’t think there’s any way I can get her on a zero turn.

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WPS456 View Post
    We’re kind of in the same boat. I bought about 30 acres but the area where the house will be is about 5. I’m getting a tractor for sure but for the grass around the house I actually may go with a riding lawnmower. I’m waiting to see how much grass there is once the driveway is done. My wife doesn’t mind helping mow and she’s used to a rider but I don’t think there’s any way I can get her on a zero turn.
    why not?? once you learn how to use it they are actually easier to operate.. you almost totally eliminate backing up.

First find the best dealer that you will work with. Talk with them. Several of the dealers around here will bring both types out to your place and demo them for you
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

How much actual yard are you going to have? are you going to leave any of it field and only mow once or twice a month? If so get the tractor. If you're going to mow all of it once or twice a week get the Zero Turn.

17. Banned
    Compact tractor for me.

18. Member
    If you can afford a compact to a mid-size tractor, use a finish-mower.

A tractor with finish-mower is a good option.

I also like the ability to use a box blade, root rake, and things like that.

Problem is used tractor prices are so high. A good used tractor and a Zero Turn is best of both worlds.

19. Member
    We just had 2 3/4 acres and bought a JD 1025R with belly mower and a loader. Used it damn near every day doing something. Best piece of equipment I've ever owned and I have owned a bunch.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    why not?? once you learn how to use it they are actually easier to operate.. you almost totally eliminate backing up.
    I busted out laughing when I read this. My wife doesn’t do well with change and can be just a little stubborn. Just trust me, even if it took her an hour longer to mow, she’d rather stick with what she knows and is most comfortable. Welcome to a small glimpse of my world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast