2021 RT188 prop to keel measurement

Currently trying to set up my new 188 for optimal performance. Prop to keel is at about 8" right now from factory with no jack plate... seems a little low and handles like it's too low (tight steering.)

Has anyone dialed in this new style hull yet? I just received it this June after my original 2016 188 was replaced for a cracked hull. The 2021 hull appears to be completely redesigned including a stepped transom.

2021 RT188
    2016 90 e-tec (off my original 188 hull)
    13x17 rogue 4 blade
    37 mph @ 5200rpm
    2 average size guys, tackle and full tank of fuel on slight chop.

2. Member
    I'm running a 19" X7 Spitfire at hole #3. Runs perfect and only have to bump down in the turns. Raising the motor will give you the 300rpm you need to hit the WOT factory max. One of our members has a 90 Opti, which has 2.33 gears, hits above 40.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I'm running a 19" X7 Spitfire at hole #3. Runs perfect and only have to bump down in the turns. Raising the motor will give you the 300rpm you need to hit the WOT factory max. One of our members has a 90 Opti, which has 2.33 gears, hits above 40.
    That would be me, was just cruising at 42.3 this afternoon on perfect flat water. These hulls seem to like a bit of chop but I'm intrigued about the new stepped hull. Did that mean the end of the much maligned trim tabs?

No two rigs will have the same prop to pad measurement. 8" is quite a bit much, as most rigs will operate best between 2-5", however, this is more of blanket statement than anything and with that being said my hull for example likes a 6" prop to pad measurement. Any less and I actually lose speed and experience either blow out or slip.

Be aware that as previously mentioned, raising the motor will give you more RPM and a jackplate may raise you up even more. This is not a bad thing though. This means that you will actually potentially be able to switch out to more pitch which will theoretically give you more speed out of it as a whole.

Just by raising the motor guaranteed you will hit above 40. With a jackplate and a higher pitch (like a 19 for example, I don't know if 18 pitch props are a thing) prop, you will easily gain another 3-5 mph. Time to get to work in your quest for speed.

Footnote: most outboards like a little bit of chop and will net you the true speed that the outboard is capable of when configured properly.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    That would be me, was just cruising at 42.3 this afternoon on perfect flat water. These hulls seem to like a bit of chop but I'm intrigued about the new stepped hull. Did that mean the end of the much maligned trim tabs?
    Yes!! No trim tabs and a 4" step In the transom! I now have 8" of setback between the step in the hull and the jack plate I added.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Rocking along at 42.7 on Saturday, spray from the trim tabs going everywhere.1A6F3AE6-EF79-4EA4-B946-520816DCA8B6.jpeg
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway