4 Blade recommendation?

I am considering a cx20 and I am considering a 4 blade prop and I currently have a Fury 24. I know I will lose some top end speed and that is fine. What speeds should I expect to get? How much of a difference was the hole shot and getting on pad?
    Last edited by Volskeith; 02-07-2022 at 10:38 PM.

2. Member
    I have a CX21 and based on the article below, I bought a 4-blade Bravo 1 FS 25.5 pitch. I just ran it for the first time today. Idle to on pad was incredible, about 3 seconds! Handling and acceleration were also incredible. What wasn't incredible was that I could only get 69 mph at 5760 rpms. I tried every trim and jackplate setting. Best performance was with jackplate at 4, which is 2 higher than what I was getting with the stock Fury 24 pitch, and the trim all the way out at 5.5. It definitely felt more stable and locked into the water. I was fully tournament loaded for two with me (225) and my wife (better not say, but at least 70-80 lbs lighter than me!) with fuel at 65%. I run lithium batteries for trolling and 85 lb crank battery. Not sure of effect, but I have 2 12" Lowrance Lives stacked on bow with Ghost trolling motor. I think I am going to try the 2 degree wedges to get more trim as the boat feels like it wants the prop a little deeper and more trim. Hope that helps.

One question for others reading - my CX21 does not throw any rooster tail at all even running at 69 mph. Every bass boat (all Rangers) I've owned has thrown a significant rooster tail. Is this normal for Caymas boats? Thanks!

https://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/Proppingtowin.html

The CX20 I'm sure will be quite a bit faster....but my CX21 with a 23 Razor XL will run 69 loaded and I am an oversize adult LOL at 6-6100 rpms in the dead of summer. You might turn a 24 Razor XL with the CX20 and I'd assume 3-4mph faster with that hull. Amazing holeshot and mid range acceleration should be expected. My 24 Fury 3 will do 72 but the 4 blade is my favorite by an extremely wide margin.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papatuel View Post
    I have a CX21 and based on the article below, I bought a 4-blade Bravo 1 FS 25.5 pitch. I just ran it for the first time today. Idle to on pad was incredible, about 3 seconds! Handling and acceleration were also incredible. What wasn't incredible was that I could only get 69 mph at 5760 rpms. I tried every trim and jackplate setting. Best performance was with jackplate at 4, which is 2 higher than what I was getting with the stock Fury 24 pitch, and the trim all the way out at 5.5. It definitely felt more stable and locked into the water. I was fully tournament loaded for two with me (225) and my wife (better not say, but at least 70-80 lbs lighter than me!) with fuel at 65%. I run lithium batteries for trolling and 85 lb crank battery. Not sure of effect, but I have 2 12" Lowrance Lives stacked on bow with Ghost trolling motor. I think I am going to try the 2 degree wedges to get more trim as the boat feels like it wants the prop a little deeper and more trim. Hope that helps.

One question for others reading - my CX21 does not throw any rooster tail at all even running at 69 mph. Every bass boat (all Rangers) I've owned has thrown a significant rooster tail. Is this normal for Caymas boats? Thanks!

https://www.mercuryracing.com/blog/Proppingtowin.html
    Mines not any higher than the cowling and if it is your not in the right direction, if you don’t have much I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve had three CX 21 and 71 is as fast as I can get them. I’m back to a 23 fury during the shot summer but this last week temps went down and my boat is running better and I’ll go back to the 24. I’ve tried the bravo FS 24 and it’s great but lacking top end. You and I are running same battery setup and graph setup exactly, I added the wedges and made a lot of difference. I’d highly recommend doing that. It got me to 6000rpm and picked up speed.

5. Member
    Thanks for great feedback on what you've tried so far. I am going to go ahead do the wedges. At our TOC a couple of savvy boat guys were telling me to try the 23 Tempest prop, that it will run a little higher in the water. Everyone standing around agreed the Fury's want to be deeper in the water to run well. It's fun experimenting, but it's not for the faint of heart when it comes to the wallet! Thanks again!

6. Member
    I have a CX20Pro and run a 24P Bravo 4 Blade for rough water. The holeshot is better, it stays on plane better and handles better. On slick water, I get about 68 mph at 5800 rpm. For ref, when I run the 24P Fury 3 Blade, I get ~75 mph at 5800 rpm. I've got 2 degree wedges that I need to install to try and bring up the rpm.

7. Member
    Been running a 23.5 p Bravo1 FS on CX21... great prop for rough water/cruising and most waters I fish are usually rough. Ordered a 25 p Bravo1 FS for a little more top end, as well as 2 degree trim wedges because boat runs out of trim. Running AGM batts, No Powerpoles, I get more speed when live wells are full vs. empty... these boats NEED weight in the back, even if it is extra weight. As many have noted, they are designed to be run tournament loaded. Shifting or adding weight to the back seems to increase speed. Especially with props that have great stern lift like bravos.