zoom horny toad rigging?

I saw where somebody said they placed the horny toad upside down on the hook & it eliminated the turning over. How many do it this way?

I have not tried that but I don't have a turnover problem usually. 5/0 gama ewg hook on straight 40-50 lb braid with a dobyns champ 734c has been a combo I've settled on for horny toads.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    I actually tried 40 lb diawa j braid with a 5/0 ewg gamakatsu on a dobyns fury 765 flip yesterday & they turned over quite a bit.

If you run the hook point through the nose deep before coming out could be the culprit. Since I've started running it in shallow I've noticed less issue with how it performs. Shallow that once you have it fully rigged the eye of the hook is NOT imbedded in the plastic, it's visible.
    Other than that maybe you have got a bad pack or two? If the legs aren't straight I can't get them to run right. Some packs I've had are worse than others.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

5. Member
    I’ve tried it with eye sticking out too. I’ll figure something out. I may have to try the owner twist lock too to see if it helps any. Thanks

6. Member
    just today ordered some 1/16 oz weighted 3/0 n 4/0 Hayabusa's to try

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

7. Banned
    Weighted double frog hook

I rig them normal and throw them on a 4/0 Owner "Twistlock Open Gap" as it seems to allow the bait to last through more hooksets, but I've also had a ton of luck throwing them on a 4/0 Gamy Superline EWG. The only reason I went to the Owner Twistlock is to get the bait to hold up better. I was usually ripping the nose out on the first bite with the Superline EWG, and I like the centering pin on the Owner Twistlocks over the comparable Gamy Superline Twistlock.

I think a heavier wire hook is important to keel them properly, and the two hooks above are both heavier wire and basically identical in wire thickness. Owner identifies theirs as "3X strong" and Gamakatsu just calls theirs "heavy wire," for what that's worth. I don't have any issues with them turning over with this setup, and I'm not dealing with a weighted hook dragging the bait down into the shit or forcing me to have to reel insanely fast. I throw them on a couple different rods, including my normal frog rod (so they're plenty heavy), on anything from 30 to 50 lb J-braid.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Drew, i had the nose rip out too & thought about super gluing them back together to see if it helped any. I'll definitely be trying the owner twistlocks too. Thanks guys.

I've always used a 4/0 Mustad 91768 with an Owner centerpin screw lock. Works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Drew, i had the nose rip out too & thought about super gluing them back together to see if it helped any. I'll definitely be trying the owner twistlocks too. Thanks guys.
    I've used Mend-It on them to fix them, but it never holds up for very long for whatever reason. It seems like the Mend-It cures harder than the plastic the frog is made from, so it kind of wants to separate out very quickly. It also seems like it makes it harder to get it rigged up properly again. Super glue may be a better option!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I always use zoom horney toad hooks.
    Not sure if they still sell them.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

13. Member
    Use a 5/0 and keel weight the hook with 10-15 wraps of .03 or .04 lead wire.

14. Member
    I've been using a VMC Drop Dead hook. 1/8 oz 4/0. I think the longer shank helps.

15. Member
    If you have a slight curve downward in the belly of the toad it seems to help with rolling over and it will start kicking a bit sooner on the retrieve. At least from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Try the Owner Beast Hook. The heavier hook will help to keep the bait right side up. Use the Owner Weighted Beast Hook with the 1/8 oz. weight if you like to wind the bait in really fast. The bait will still rise to the surface with the 1/8 oz. weight if you wind in really fast.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

5/0 owner twistlock 1/8 oz.