Engine dies when backing into dock.

I'm running a Merc Classic 50 and when it's cold it idles and runs great. I'll run down the lake a couple of miles and fish and when starting it wants to die. It'll run sort of rough coming back and I'll shut it down and fish more. I usually end up fishing close to the dock so I'll run slowly back make a turn and if I can get it in reverse I'll back into the dock and it almost always dies. When I'm starting it warm I almost always have to have the fast idle up or it tends to die. If I fish for a couple of hours I usually have to squeeze the bulb and put the fast idle up to start it. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Alex- thanks for the free chuckle reading the post title.

Make sure you're pumping the bulb firm before EVERY engine start. Especially important when in warmer temps (above 60F).

In some cases, the carb idle air screws have to be opened 1/8 - 1/4 turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE from their original position. This is primarily due to the way today's fuels burn (term "fuels" used loosely).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Put a bunch of SeaFoam and added gas and it smoothed out. I didn't run it for 3 months, had a shoulder replacement, so must have been watered gas.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor