TR-186 Can't put gas in

My TR-186 has just recently developed an issue where I can't put gas in it without it gurgling back out and overflowing all over the place. I'm assuming the vent is clogged but can't see it anywhere when I take the cap off and look down in there with a flashlight. Any idea how to unclog it?

Probably a dip in your vent hose causing this.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caymas ProXS View Post
    Probably a dip in your vent hose causing this.
    Any idea how to get to the vent on this boat?

4. Member
    Hopefully you have an access panel between the seats. Will need a long arm and/or a good sized stick, etc.

5. Member
    If the vent comes out at the top of the fill tube, get a big straw and put some tape on one end. Stuff it in the vent opening and blow hard. Worked for me in my 196.

6. Member
    I did what Cajun said but I used a can of compressed air and a rag.

7. Member
    Gonna sound dumb... But I just rock the boat (haha) really hard after I take the gas cap off and before I put gas in.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stl196 View Post
    I did what Cajun said but I used a can of compressed air and a rag.

I cant see where to blow anything into...

9. Member
    2005 TR-186. I've always had that problem. It has the vent at top of fuel fill along side the fill entry. Generally I have the problem after I have over flowed it with fuel or additive, which then fills the little vent tube and collects on top of the check valve ball and spring, making it harder to release air. then over flowing it is amplified. Allowing it to dry or blowing it out as above described will usually take care of it. the compressed air idea sounds like a great one. Problem is its slow to take fuel and quite easy to overflow.. so its easy to do often I'm going to replace the fuel fill one 0f these days.. but have pretty much learned to deal with it by just being patient.
    Last edited by Bobby Gray; 09-29-2021 at 03:22 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    I cant see where to blow anything into...
    If its the same fill as mine.. The fuel fill veers slightly to the right as it is mounted on my boat. The vent hole is very small and is on the opposite side of the fill hole from the direction that the fuel entry is angled.. Hopefully this makes sense and your fuel fill is same brand as mine. I've read a number of posts on various forums that the ball and spring can become worn and dirty which is also a problem.. I have sprayed carb cleaner down mine? Not sure if it has had any effect? generally mine is most problematic after it's sat awhile. Using the boat often always seems to make it take fuel better. Most often, when it won't take fuel at all - as stated above I've overflowed it and gotten fluid in it from above. I have heard those that have said insects get in and clog it up.. But that would have to be a tough insect IMO with the vapors present?

11. Member
    Too bad there is not someone from Triton monitoring this page who could offer some advise/photos/direction. I have an 04' TR 186 and depending on the gas station and the pressure of the gas pump I too have this problem.

12. Member
    Hopefully I got it. I did like recommended and used the air compressor in the tiny vent hole and could hear gas pouring back into the tank from the hose. Thanks for the help guys and I'll let you know if all's good when I put gas in her next....

13. Member
    Just wanted to post an update and say thanks to everyone for the advice. After blowing it out with the compressor it's working fine now...

I was jinxed after reading this tread....i'm having the same problem....
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

15. Member
    I have this problem when I have 1/2 tank or less and don't just hold the nozzle wide open. Replaced my vent line a couple years ago and did it before that.
    I just stick the nozzle in and hold it wide open. Works for me.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    I have this problem when I have 1/2 tank or less and don't just hold the nozzle wide open. Replaced my vent line a couple years ago and did it before that.
    I just stick the nozzle in and hold it wide open. Works for me.
    lol... I tried that and had to go home and change clothes. Gas everywhere...

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen656 View Post
    I was jinxed after reading this tread....i'm having the same problem....

PM sent.....

18. Member
    I turn the fuel nozzle completely upside down and it stops doing it. 06 186 here, its annoying.