Game cameras have me so confused

Looking for a reliable game camera. Not Cellular. That has a metal security box available to buy and use when the camera is in use.
    My buddy uses Bushnell. With the prices on these and so many out there it's just getting more confusing trying to figure out what is good, what is not,
    What has a security box and what does not...

What is everyone using and how are you keeping it locked to the tree so it doesn't disappear? Have you had cameras stolen? What did you do to prevent it from happening again? What brands should i look for? Or look out for?

Thanks.

2. mikesxpress
    Pat they all have planned obsolescence built-in. 3-5 years on average. You can order the Browning cams and security boxes are available for them. eBay has packages available that can include multiple cams, security boxes, and cable locks.

Strap the box to the tree with provided nylon strap and then cable lock the box to the tree then padlock the box access cover. If the box/camera is designed to use the cable lock to secure the camera & box I modify it so it only secures the box to the tree that way you only need to remove the padlock to access the camera. Expect to spend at least half the cost of the camera for the box/cable lock/padlock. PIA but it works. They can all be removed in <15 seconds with bolt cutters.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-27-2021 at 06:10 AM.

3. Member
    I started placing all of my cameras as high as I can in the trees and aim down. I am 6'5 and all mine are set as far as I can reach. When people look for cameras they normally look waist high. The guys I caught last year looked right at my camera and didn't realize.
    As for a reliable camera, Reconyx but they are not cheap.

We have had the best luck out of the cheap Tasco cameras from Walmart. $28, easy to operate, and have lasted us several years and still working.

5. Member
    I run a few different ones I have a tasco am for the money it’s hard to beat, I also run wild game innovations and stealth cams all have pros an cons.

Buy from Trailcampro.com You get an extra year of warranty and a free SD card.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Buy from Trailcampro.com You get an extra year of warranty and a free SD card.
    Except they are sold out of almost everything under $200

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    I have been in this game for MANY years and have about 20 cams and 10's of thousand pics every year. Many diff ones and have found BAR NONE I have tried that I prefer the 24mp Bushnell Trophy Cam Low Glow HD. Im not sure on the security box as I don't use them.

They were about $199 but now you can find them at $70. Exceptional video and fantastic pics.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    I have been in this game for MANY years and have about 20 cams and 10's of thousand pics every year. Many diff ones and have found BAR NONE I have tried that I prefer the 24mp Bushnell Trophy Cam Low Glow HD. Im not sure on the security box as I don't use them.

They were about $199 but now you can find them at $70. Exceptional video and fantastic pics.
    Nice. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input !!

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Wildgame innovations, moultrie, muddy, primos, spypoint, and tasco. I have 4 of the primos bulletproof cams. They are originally $49 but have bought all of them on sale at Academy for $29. They are stupid simple and take excellent pictures. I hear great things about the browning non cell cameras. Moultrie to me has been the biggest let down. I own moultrie cellular and non cellular cameras and just appears they are more issue than they are worth. My opinion only!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

11. Member
    I have 20 Reconyx HyperFire 2 camera and 7 Reconyx Hyperfire2 Cellular. They are by far the best on market. What many do not consider is battery life. These cameras will last 12 months and 12-15k pictures per camera per season. Cheaper cameras will go through a set monthly.
    Brad
    '16 Ranger 521c
    250 Merc Pros XS

12. mikesxpress
    HyperFire 2 $400.00 each X 20=$8000.00
    HyperFire 2 cellular $600.00 each (+ monthly cell fee) X 7
    =$4200.00
    $12,200.00 in trail cams
    WOW!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    HyperFire 2 $400.00 each X 20=$8000.00
    HyperFire 2 cellular $600.00 each (+ monthly cell fee) X 7
    =$4200.00
    $12,200.00 in trail cams
    WOW!!!
    Don’t tell the wife please…she already gets tired of the phone blowing up during the night on the nightstand with notifications from the cellular ones.
    Brad
    '16 Ranger 521c
    250 Merc Pros XS