Very Leaky Gas Cap

My 07 521VX just developed a very leaky gas cap. When I take corners while trailering i can see a lot of gas spilling out. ALOT. I had a spare brand new cap and assuming it was the rubber O ring I just put the new cap on and it still leaks. What else could it be? I also tried switching caps with the one that is on my Port tank that I know does not leak and it still dumps so it must be the part that the cap screws in to. But I don’t see how or why that would start happening out of nowhere.

I am wondering if there is a one way baffle/valve in the filler tube or at the tank that may have gone haywire.
    Last edited by Paintworx; 09-25-2021 at 06:38 PM.

2. Member
    Are you sure the new cap has the O ring? If it’s a black ring,it can be hard to see. You might try another ring of the same diameter but a bigger wall thickness.

3. Member
    Ya there is a large o ring on it. I even switched caps with the tank that doesn’t leak. It’s something other than the cap that is causing the problem because I have tied 3 caps on that tank and they all act the same. I am wondering if the hose that leads to the tank has somehow repositioned and has a low spot. Gonna pull the seat and take a look.

4. Member
    It looks like I may have just over filled the starboard tank and the fuel is pushing back up the fill hose. All I can think is that it’s coming out of the air breather which vents outside of the Oring. 20199E73-1630-4CAA-912E-6F6FE0023397.jpeg

5. Member
    You might be right,that’s plenty full.

6. Member
    I siphoned some out and put it in my truck. I am not sure how it overfilled since I always use the same procedure. Wondering if the ground at the gas station was more sloped and let me fit more in there. Ez fix I guess but why can’t they figure out a way to vent the tank so the fuel cap can seal and I can fill the tank all way up. Maybe a one way flapper valve that will close is the fuel tries to go back up the hose.

7. mikesxpress
    Jim this will fix your issue.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=505027

8. Member
    Thanks Again Mike. I promised I tried to search first. Must not have used the right words. I had finally figured out how to get the gas in without too much headache but I had never noticed the gas spewing out when taking sweeping right hand turns when towing. Maybe it has always been doing this (probably). I have the whole top cap of my boat wrapped with Paint Protection Film and this gas spillage has ruined it around the fillers and down the rub rail.

9. mikesxpress
    With nothing but an open fill hose to the tank(s) and a small vent line the full to the neck fuel can/will spill out on turns. The addition of the Perko "anti-puke" flappers resolves this and allows for rapid fueling without having to do silly fuel island rituals to keep it from burping petrol all over you.