TJNYSNP

i replaced my teleflex old trim gauge with a Sierra... showing things backwards

anyone have a clue ? i'm pretty sure i put in the same colored wires on the same wires.

could be coincidental but my tachometer was acting odd also yesterday on my first run with the new tach

i have a 2018 225 HO Gen1 engine with the original side control wiring that wired into the engine and kept my old instrament wiring

thanks

2. Member
    You have a Mercury trim gauge. Merc trim system resistance is backwards to EV JO

3. TJNYSNP
    Hi guys, i bought a new faria that says it works with evinrude outboards....

I have a 2018 225 HO eTech Gen1 engine ( old control wiring, not bluetooth, etc. )
    My side control panel is old, it was from my year 2000 boat that was working with a 225 HO Bombadier engine
    Everything has been wonderful

Recently, my trim gauge stopped working completely

Put in a new Faria trim gauge that appears to support evinrude engines
    connected black to ground
    connected whitestripped to signal
    connected purple to ignition

The issue: NOT WORKING

Trouble Shooting Done:
    1) I disconnected the Signal and just connected the Ignition(Purple) and the black ground to the ground. With power off, the needle is UP all the way. As soon as I turn the Key on Ignition it goes HARD DOWN MAXIMUM... as far as the needle can go.
    Does this sound right ? I thought i read it should be all the way UP on power of the ignition ?

2) If i then take my Signal wire and touch it to the "S" Post... the trim gauge arrow will immediately go to the UP all the way position. I doesn't seem to matter what my trim is... it doesn't seem to affect it. Again, this is the white wire with a tan strip and all i have read.. this "is" the signal wire and it was what was on the "S" connector on my older gauge.

I'm really confused.... i am only working with this trio of wires that i can see comes from the bulky trunk of wires in a trio of purple/white-striped/black.. with the blue light wire coming from another place with a seperate ground for that.. but i'm only focusing on the 3 wires now

Where would you go back now from there to find the next spot where there is an issue ?

Also, can I extend the signal wire by crimping on a longer wire.. i did that.. maybe i'm left to only use the white/tan-striped original wire...

4. Member
    You are correct on your wiring.
    With the signal wire removed and only purple and ground connected, properly of course, there should be no movement of the needle. The hard down is indicating an internal short of the gauge.
    the blue wire is for the internal light bulb.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you have an old time swing volt meter you can test the sender at the gauge connect one lead to the tan/white and the other to ground. set the meter to ohms and have an assistant move the trim sender lever at the motor you should see movement on the meter's needle. That way you know the sender is working.

6. TJNYSNP
    Thanks all,

ChampionMan... I think i know what happened but let me explain to you guys:

When i was out and the Sierra was in reverse ( was working!!! just the wrong up/down arrows!!! ), i stupidly on the water thought it would be as simple as rewiring it backwards and put the purple hot wire on the (S)signal connector and the white/tan wire on the (I)ignition wire. The result was that it just stopped working completely and i gave up.

By doing the above, could I have fried the sending unit circuit since it seems like that white/tan wire goes right from the sending unit all the way up to my gauge and I sent power back into it ? :(

That's my theory right now as to why i get no signal at all doing the ohm multimeter check on the white/tan wire.

Thanks for reading all.

SEPERATE NOTE: Oh, by the way and i hope this is just a coincident... my tachometer was 'going nuts' on the water right after i did this power reverse thing...showing near 7K RPMs... i even changed my prop on the water to my other prop to confirm that my RPMs felt right and my max speed was fine.... Why would there be feedback into my tachometer by doing the above ? Isn't that a seperate circuit ?

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Purple wire is the key to your answer. It goes everywhere.