which grates for a propane gas grill?

Looking to buy a gas grill in the near future. Like to keep it under 900.00 if possible. Out of the grate material; cast iron. porcelain coated cast iron, or stainless steel, which is your preference. I'll be grilling for just the 2 of us. Sometimes we'll have family/friends for dinner off the grill. I do have a charcoal grill and love the cast iron grates although they are a hassle to maintain. What say you folks that use propane grills?
    thanks!

Order a set of grill grates. Grillgrates.com
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

3. Member
    Cast Iron. It's a pain to keep them seasoned
    Last edited by SteveDyer; 10-05-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

5. Member
    I Have had stainless steel grates I’ve had porcelain coated grates, I will never own anything but cast-iron again as long as I live. They cook better, food even seems to taste better. Once they’re seasoned there as easy as anything to keep clean. For me an easy choice. JMO i’ve also heard good things about grill grates has mentioned but I never had a need for them.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’ve had cast iron for years and love them.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Grill Grates are the way to go! I have them on my Weber Genesis gas grill and PK charcoal grill.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Cast Iron, but I are correct. It's a pain to keep them seasoned
    I agree. But I end up just scraping them and coating in oil after each use to mainly prevent rust.
    Fish have fins, they swim

9. Member
    Propane is a wet fuel. It will be a monstrous PITA to keep cast iron rust free. I would go with porcelain coated cast iron for longevity and easier care. I have a charcoal grill and it was tough to keep the cast iron grates from rusting up even with good seasoning practice. I swapped out to some porcelain coated cast iron a couple years ago and have never looked back.

10. Member
    My gas grill has cast-iron grates, my last gas grill had cast-iron grates, I’ve never had an issue with rust. Right now I have six grills of various types, I only have one with porcelain grates and I hate them.

I’ve always had SS grates in all my Webers, and now in my built-in Napoleon Prestige Pro 665. The SS grates in the Napoleon are noticeably larger than a Weber, and cook to perfection without any sticking. I use a spiral wound grate brush and wood paddle to scrape when hot, and occasionally flip them and use a paint scraper to clean the bottom. I’ve haven’t found CI to cook any better on the food we like. Trying to keep cast iron grates seasoned and rust free is a pain the ass.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"