Webster area fishing

Heading up to fish around Webster with a buddy the first week of October. Looking to mainly fish Horseshoe lake going after smallies. Any other lakes we should look at as well for good smallies?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Roy has some very solid smallmouth fishing

3. Member
    Clear is hot, have to put up with some big largemouth mixed in. Pickeral is generally overlooked. If it is windy Pickeral
    is a great choice. I would not put Horseshoe in the top ten lakes in the area. I agree Roy is solid.

4. Member
    What are the best lakes around that Webster area? We put horseshoe on the map since state record was from there.

5. Member
    If you are fishing for the state record go to kettle/cattail, but like horseshoe you are in for a long day of fishing with very, very few bites. If you stay in Eden you are closer to the better bass lakes. Dan who runs the grocery store has some furnished apt at a fair price. Reetz is only a mile from webster, has some big fish not a numbers lake. The road bed at the far end is a good place to start. You can figure out where it is by look at how they moved the new road. Hope that helps.Go to clear if you want to catch a lot of nice fish.

6. Member
    We was going to hit up Reetz but will be there after it’s closed off to public.

7. Member
    Yes Reetz will be closed Oct. 1
    Roy, Clear, Enemy Swim have all been good this year. Cattail, Kettle can be good, there are some really good fish in there.
    New State Record is on Oahe. The river is kicking out some monsters this year.
    Dave

8. Member
    Every lake up there probably has a 6# in it. Some with 7#+
    Waubay, Bitter both have untapped smallmouth but they are large, can get really rough, and have limited access.
    Dave

9. Member
    I’ll be up there Friday. I was hoping the water temps were lower. We’ve had our best luck when the water is in the low 50’s. My brother caught a 32 in walleye in the snow on Roy about 10yrs ago trolling at dusk. Smallies hit cranks like crazy when it cools off. Good luck. Chislic and cold beer is always cheap with great folks at the watering holes.

10. Member
    Yea we was hoping for cooler water too. We are heading to Webster on Monday. Was going to delay a couple weeks but couldn’t work on our schedules. We are still pretty excited to get away for a few days, never been to SD.

11. Member
    It’s always windy. Rarely crowded lakes. Nice folks. Fishing is pretty good. College football at night. Perfect.

12. Member
    Good god be careful on cattail/kettle... basically a sunken forest and farm(s). There are some giants in there, last tournament we were there had 2 bites all day... but both fish were huge. Still like roy for numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBarBack View Post
    Good god be careful on cattail/kettle... basically a sunken forest and farm(s). There are some giants in there, last tournament we were there had 2 bites all day... but both fish were huge. Still like roy for numbers!
    Yeah the wood in cattail-kettle is flush with the water and I had 3 bites landed two for a third place a few years ago.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    I have never fished Bitter for small mouth. Any size or numbers? Would like to hear more about bitters small mouth

15. Member
    Perfect day tomorrow. 90% chance of rain— about an inch. Shouldn’t be too crowded. Might have chislic earlier than usual.