Elite 5 HDI question

My boat came with a Elite 5 HDI. The only two transducers I can select on it are 455 & 800. It hardly ever shows a fish. I bought a Garmin Striker 4 plus and it shows fish. It has a 77 or 200 transducer. Is the problem with the Elite 5 the transducer frequency? Can I just change the transducer to a 80/200 or am I stuck with the 455/800? It marks the bottom but never a fish.

2. Member
    Sorry, but something here does not add up. Elite HDI can use a lot of different transducers, but none of those are 455/800kHz only. Could it be that your unit is a Elite 5 DSI? That unit can only use one transducer and is 455/800 only.

Scanning sonar shows fish as small dots, not the arches you see with 2D (traditional sonar).

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Sorry, but something here does not add up. Elite HDI can use a lot of different transducers, but none of those are 455/800kHz only. Could it be that your unit is a Elite 5 DSI? That unit can only use one transducer and is 455/800 only.

Scanning sonar shows fish as small dots, not the arches you see with 2D (traditional sonar).
    I'll look again when i get back to the boat

4. Member
    Yes it's a DSI. So I'm stuck wit the 455/800?

5. Member
    That is a Downscan only unit (pretty useless, IMO). You can only choose frequencies of 455 or 800 and fish will appear as dots not arches due to the angle of the transducer beam.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    That is a Downscan only unit (pretty useless, IMO). You can only choose frequencies of 455 or 800 and fish will appear as dots not arches due to the angle of the transducer beam.

NoCAL
    After owing it, I agree the sonar part is useless. Since I bought the Garmin unit, the only reason I can see to keep it on the boat is for the map. Why would anyone want one?

7. Member
    Back when Elite DSI was made, Lowrance did not have any "all in one"-type transducers. The DSI-unit had a "brother" in Elite, where you would have downscan on the Elite DSI, and 2D on the Elite.

8. Member
    turn the transducer on its side and you have sidescan. on that side.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    turn the transducer on its side and you have sidescan. on that side.
    :)