Minn Kota Precision Charger issue with new AGM Battery

Let me preface the following by saying I've read just about every post I can find on folks who've had similar (but not the same) issue w/ Minn Kota Precision Chargers over the years.

Have a 2017 Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW w/ 75 HP Mercury 4-stroke motor. I recently upgraded the Trolling Motor and Graphs. I also replaced the stock NOCO Genius on-board 2 bank charger with a new Minn Kota MK-345PC Precision Charger. Everything has worked great for months, while I had 3 Flooded Cell batteries (2 Group 27 for TM and original Group 24 for Cranking and Electronics.

Two days ago I swapped out my Group 24 battery for a new
    Duracell Ultra BCI Group 31M 12V 800CCA AGM Marine & RV Battery. Store confirmed and showed me battery was charged when I picked it up. I read thru the MK User Guide for the Charger and properly switched battery type to AGM. Unplugged charger and re-plugged in to confirm Battery Type was saved.

Charger went thru detection cycle and started charging on all 3 banks. TM Batteries (Flooded Cell) completed charge within minutes and lights turned Green. AGM battery bank stayed at 50% for over 2 hrs. I unplugged charger from wall and started again. Same thing. AGM bank never got past 50% after a couple of hours. I read in the User Guide that you could press the bank button once (during charge) to confirm battery type, which I tried. Surprisingly enough, after illuminating the AGM light, charger went to flashing Green on that bank, indicating battery was now charged.

Took boat out yesterday and fished for 1/2 a day. Plugged charger in upon my return. Pretty much the same thing happened. Flooded Cell TM batteries charged in about 2 hrs. AGM bank remained at 75% for a 5 more hours. Just for the heck of it, I again pressed the bank button and the charger detected it was set to AGM. Flashed yellow lights a second and again went to blinking Green (indicating battery was charged).

First thing this morning I called Minn Kota. Woman I spoke to had never heard of this issue. After my call, I unplugged the charger waited a few minutes and then plugged it back in. This time all 3 banks cycled thru detection, charge and then ultimately went flashing green (even the AGM bank). I decided to turn on my graphs for a few hours while I worked on some other things.

Plugged charger back in after running graphs about an hour or so. Flooded Cell batteries went to flashing green in just a few minutes. AGM bank was at 50% for a while and then 75% for the past 5 hrs. AGM bank just now went to flashing Green while I was typing this post.

Is this normal behavior? AGM batteries are not cheap and do NOT want to risk burning one up.

Charger is on a short 7 foot 12 gauge extension cord just to reach the wall.
    Last edited by IMRedeemed; 09-24-2021 at 03:27 PM.

2. Member
    I would call MK and let them know what's going on and ask for a new charger as well !

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    With a big battery, it takes a long time to charge. Let it go for 24 hours at least.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Probably nothing wrong with your charger. My PC charger takes much longer to charge the AGM as the wet batteries and has from day one. I have checked the voltage as it runs through cycles. Can charge the wet batteries in a few hours after fishing, but overnight to do the AGM. Do as Catfan suggested.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Banned
    The deeper the state of charge on the AGM the longer it will take to charge.
    My wet cells charge in about 1/2 the time of my Odessey 2150 st depending on Depth of Discharge of course.

6. Member
    Thank for all the help everyone! I think the charger is working; the AGM ultimately charges and I don't get any error lights. As several of you mentioned, it appears the AGM just takes longer to charge than the wet (flooded) cell type. This is contrary to what I had read and been told, but my experience matches what each of you have noted.

Thanks again!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMRedeemed View Post
    Thank for all the help everyone! I think the charger is working; the AGM ultimately charges and I don't get any error lights. As several of you mentioned, it appears the AGM just takes longer to charge than the wet (flooded) cell type. This is contrary to what I had read and been told, but my experience matches what each of you have noted.

Thanks again!
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    I did the exact same thing when I bought a giant 31 X2 power agm.

My flooded leads charged in 2 hours, and the AGM takes like 12 hours!