Inexpensive reel grips

I found these silicone pencil grips at wallymart for less than $3 for 10 pairs.

Tricky to install on flat handles (really had to stretch them on this one with hard plastic knobs), since the grips are very small diameter - but once installed, they fit perfectly and feel great.

We'll see how they hold up... at least at this price, they can be replaced cheaply.

2. Member
    Good idea. Thanks for posting. Some of the handles on my reels get a little bit slippery. Gonna try this.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

Thanks for sharing

Wish I saw this sooner. My last order to TW I picked up 2 sets of regular slip on covers. I think they were $4.99 a set. Without seeing the ones you got in person I can't believe the ones I got were worth the difference in price.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Yep, those are the ones! Thanks for providing the link.
    I used a set of thin hemostats to stretch them enough to install. A bit of soap water as a lube helps them slip on easier too.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Yep, those are the ones! Thanks for providing the link.
    I used a set of thin hemostats to stretch them enough to install. A bit of soap water as a lube helps them slip on easier too.
    Instead of using soap water, use hand sanitizer gel. It lubes & degreases...then it evaporates. You'll dang near have to cut them off if you need to remove them.

8. Member
    Yes. I like it

Thanks

9. Member
    Good idea. Thanks!
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

I tried another inexpensive variation. This is "coban" - compression bandage that is water resistant, sticks to itself, can be cut to width/length, and wrapped with as many layers to get the exact custom grip size you want. These were 1" strips, cut to about 14" long. Worked great on this particular hard-plastic, funky shaped knob.

Less than $3 a roll, could cover 12 - 16 pairs of reel knobs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Eq...ll&athena=true

Haven't tried it, but it might work for quick customizing the grip and thickness of a rod handle too.

11. Member
    When the cheap ones get sticky just change them. Good idea.

12. Member

MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

14. Member
    What went wrong ???? After several Walmarts, I found the pencil grips and got 2 pkgs. Applied to about 20 reel handles using an oversized pair of needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend at the end. I wet the pliers, slipped on the grip, spread the plastic out enough to slip over the reel grip, holding the spread pliers open with a short block of wood to free up my fingers to guide the grip. Got the grip in place and removed the wood, letting the grip settle on the reel handle and adjusting the fit to align. No lube or water added to the reel grip before putting the pencil grip on. After about a month hanging in my semi-heated garage; most of the pencil grips have split and fallen off. Any cure for this ?????????????

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    What went wrong ???? After several Walmarts, I found the pencil grips and got 2 pkgs. Applied to about 20 reel handles using an oversized pair of needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend at the end. I wet the pliers, slipped on the grip, spread the plastic out enough to slip over the reel grip, holding the spread pliers open with a short block of wood to free up my fingers to guide the grip. Got the grip in place and removed the wood, letting the grip settle on the reel handle and adjusting the fit to align. No lube or water added to the reel grip before putting the pencil grip on. After about a month hanging in my semi-heated garage; most of the pencil grips have split and fallen off. Any cure for this ?????????????
    Probably always going to happen but could also be they got some petroleum products on them and they reverted. Even petroleum vapors can contaminate line and other plastics.
    If they work, they work. I will have to look into these things, it looks like they would make nice Senko O-rings if cut with a razor. Presently I'm using 5/16" clear vinyl tubing.

16. Member
    Wife ordered me a set of those on Amazon, so I'll put them on my favorite rods. The pencil grips cut best with scissors vs small, pencil size razor knifes if you try to make "o" rings. Have some great Holidays all, I'm staying home.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I found these silicone pencil grips at wallymart for less than $3 for 10 pairs.

Tricky to install on flat handles (really had to stretch them on this one with hard plastic knobs), since the grips are very small diameter - but once installed, they fit perfectly and feel great.

We'll see how they hold up... at least at this price, they can be replaced cheaply.

18. Member
    What a great idea and awesome share...preciate that

19. Member
    Mine all popped off aswell, great idea for smaller handles I imagine

20. Member
    Great idea! Thanks for sharing!