Carpet Direction Questions

I've read about keeping the grain going the same direction, but does it matter which way? I could install with the roll going parallel or perpendicular.

Also, can you turn the carpet 180 degrees and see a difference? I've got lids that taper where I could use less carpet if I cut them side by side by opposite directions.

Yes, all one direction. No you can't turn it 180, you'll see a difference.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

3. Member
    I have found it best to run the most predominant lines front to back. And I agree with tlefire.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

4. Member
    Front to back, like water off a ducks back. And, I can tell some have never seen a Bullet. Bullet runs the deck and floor in the same direction, get to the back and it runs side to side, well over 6' wide in the rear and my guess is they only buy 6' wide rolls of carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    You can absolutely tell the difference in direction. I redid my little old 14 foot Lund a few years back and on two of the hatches I accidentally installed the carpet 180 degrees off axis. I very quickly noticed and recarpeted them. This is a progress photo from back in the day and you can see the rod locker lid and the lid just to the right are way different than everything else.

6. Member
    If you forget the direction it faces, you can run your hand across it and you can feel the difference.

7. Member
    Front to back seems logical to me. When I replaced carpet in my last boat, I used the same f to b direction as the original. My new boat runs back to front. I don't know why they did it this way...

8. Member
    When I replaced the carpet in my last boat, I used chalk to draw a lot of arrows all facing in the same direction on the carpet backing to help insure that I cut and installed all the carpet in the same direction.