2022 ZXR20 Props

What other props are you guys running on the ZXR20's? I've got about 8 hrs on the boat so far and with the stock prop on a manual jackplate at 4 dots with a tournament load by myself I've seen 73.6 @5900 rpm on a short run. Haven't let it completely run out yet for an extended period yet but I'm thinking that's about all its got. I've got an Atlas jackplate on the way.
    My question is, with the issues the new t2 props are having, I'm looking for an alternative prop to run. What has everyone else tried and what kind of results are you seeing?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20

2. Member
    Most guys on here are getting the best results from the stock 25 T2 SHO props that come on the boat. Your numbers are inline with mine. However once you install Atlas JP you will see a wide Range of numbers on the gage. Most run the gage a lot higher than mine. By myself my best is around 14. With partner i have to lower to 10 or 11 to get best speed. By myself with full Tournament gear and live wells full I can touch 74 mph but it mostly runs 73 to 73.5. With my partner and his gear (which is a lot) I can only get 67-68 full of gas and live wells full. But I am about the slowest ZXR20 on here. BUT I AM GOOD WITH THAT BECAUSE I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOAT!!
    Good Luck I hope someone comes on here with a good option. Oh by the way what issues with the T2? I am new to Skeeter and Yamaha.

3. Member
    Awesome. Glad to hear my numbers are at least on par. I absolutely love this boat. I just came out of a Nitro Z20, and in its defense was flawless other than the Merc that was on it. Otherwise the boat was solid. Just had tons of issues with the pro xs, including a rod going through the case. I love the SHO. And not having to worry about buying oil all the time is nice.

The T2 issues is seen have either been the inner prop around the hub cracking or the hubs coming apart and eating the lower units. My brother has a 2021 and had one eat his lower, and I've seen a handful of both failures in my area alone. So it makes me nervous especially since sho lower unit parts are almost non existent right now. That's why I looking for an alternative to at least try.
    Im curious if anyone has tried a fury or a turbo FXP, and if so, what kind of numbers are they getting.
    Last edited by slim110; 09-24-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20

4. Member
    I have seen on here where the Tempest plus was better than the Fury. I don't know about the turbo fxp. But that was back earlier this year when little information was available. I am sure someone has better information now. Thanks for the info on the SHO. I will keep a watch on mine.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim110 View Post
    What other props are you guys running on the ZXR20's? I've got about 8 hrs on the boat so far and with the stock prop on a manual jackplate at 4 dots with a tournament load by myself I've seen 73.6 @5900 rpm on a short run. Haven't let it completely run out yet for an extended period yet but I'm thinking that's about all its got. I've got an Atlas jackplate on the way.
    My question is, with the issues the new t2 props are having, I'm looking for an alternative prop to run. What has everyone else tried and what kind of results are you seeing?
    First, I have had the opportunity to set up alot of these new R series hulls. I will agree that there are a few that go against the average, but on average this hull performs best with the manual plate at 7 or 8 dots showing. This usually gets the RPMs closer to the rev limiter of 6175 and driver alone speeds of 75.

I have also tried a whole bunch of props in 25p & 26p. I have not tried any of the bravo props that are mentioned to run very well on these hulls, but have tried almost everything else. All my trials have brought me back to the 25p-T2. The boat can handle a 26p prop, and will get almost the same speeds, but took longer to get there, and longer to recover top speed from going in and out of turns. Over loading gear in the front of the boat will greatly reduce speed, as will over trimming. Now for the guys that will dispute that you should not run a Yamaha prop as they are prone to failure, I will say the pile of Merc props is the same at the dealership.

I’m running a stock T2 on mine with a hydraulic plate. My sweet spot is about 18 on the jackplate and 95% trim. I’ve seen 74.3 by myself at about 6100 RPMs. 71.5 - 72 with partner and tourney load. The hole shot is great, mid range torque is great, and still maintains speed and bite at fairly sharp turns. If there’s a better prop than the T2 I would love to run it.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Thanks for the info guys.
    And yes I've broken a handful of Merc props as well so I know the issue isn't just Yamaha related. But there was a period where it just seemed like every t2 was cracking or failing in some way. Maybe that's not the case as of late.

I was just curious as I haven't had chance to mess with any props as of yet. I've heard the tempest was the next best thing, but my brothers ZXR lost 5 mph running two different 25 tempests. I've heard of others gaining a few mph with one, so I'm not sure what to think. I guess I'll try and get my hands on a few to test.

I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you very much.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20

8. Member
    72 with 2 people and loaded with tackle, 68 with tank n live wells full. Factory set up with manual jack plate.
    Ride is great though.
    Not the fastest or slowest boat I've owned but never caught a fish running 70 either.

9. Member
    I have a hydro plate. I have seen 75.7 out of mine. Now that my move back to SD is complete I finished organizing the boat where I want things for fishing. I pretty much had everything in the back boxes. Wednesday I saw 74.6 and that was full fuel. Today same load just down to 3/4 fuel I could only get 72. The particular lake I was on today was full of gunk and algie.

10. Member
    Prop to pad zxr 21.
    I recently purchased a 2022 zxr21 with atlas hydraulic jack plate. What is the best starting point when measuring prop to pad. I read a lot of people On here stating my number is set to this and that. Those numbers can be deceiving. Different mounting holes and brand. Sometimes the gauges can be off. That’s why I always go with with prop to pad.
    Appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I have a hydro plate. I have seen 75.7 out of mine. Now that my move back to SD is complete I finished organizing the boat where I want things for fishing. I pretty much had everything in the back boxes. Wednesday I saw 74.6 and that was full fuel. Today same load just down to 3/4 fuel I could only get 72. The particular lake I was on today was full of gunk and algie.
    What's your jackplate height on those speeds?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    19 to 20. I wish I had more to go up. My boat seams to like JP as high as I can go and full trim.

13. Member
    19 to 20. I wish I had more to go up. My boat seams to like JP as high as I can go and full trim.
    Have you measured prop to pad at those settings? Mine is half inch below at 18 and dead even at 20

14. Member
    Did you keep the 2" spacers when you went to the hydraulic plate?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20

15. Member
    I ordered with a hydro plate and it has spacers. I have not measured it yet.