Carb Rebuild J150STLESB

2 issues
    3 Questions

Issue 1: I am replacing the fuel primer lines. Crowley Marine sent me what appear to be 1/16 diameter hose. It appears that the hoses I’m taking off the motor are 1/8 diameter. I gave Crowley the proper P/N per my original OMC parts catalog.

Question: what are the proper size? Will 1/16 work the same?

Issue 2: After putting everything back together I am still dealing with the same issue. Fuel passing through carb into motor. If I tilt the motor up towards the sky and prime the bulb I am getting lots of fuel flowing out of the bottom carb throat.

Question: Does this mean that the needle is not seating properly on this carb?

Question: if I have to break down the carbs/carb again, do I need to replace any of the gaskets? Note: I just finished rebuilding them, they are all brand new.

I will be buying a pressure tester tomorrow, I’m learning as I go.

thanks
    Last edited by D_Wade85; 09-23-2021 at 10:54 PM.
    Tune in next time, to here another BBC member who pays cash for everything say, “Hey big man, let me hold a dolla.”

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes they are 1/16" original part number 0327229 replaced by 072568.
    Sounds like the float drop is not set correctly. Inverted parallel to the carb body. Normal 3/4"-1" from the bottom of the carb body to the top of the floats.
    No need to replace gasket hopefully you used OEM carb kits.

3. Member
    Thank you. I will be pulling bottom carb today. I did use BRP carb kits.

Yes that is the P/N I gave them.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    Thank you guys for all your help.

I pulled everything off this morning, with the carb inverted, I cannot get any air through the needle and seat.

I then disassembled the carb and with the carb inverted, the top of the float is running parallel with the base.

I moved the drop height up considerably to about 3/4 inch. The floats do not drop below the jets.

I have found a very small leak on the black plastic fuel inlet on the bottom of the middle carb where it meets the carb. It’s not spritzing, dripping or gushing out when I prime the bulb. However it does leak just enough to wet the fat black base on the inlet. It’s so small a leak that it’s drying fast enough to not even cause a drip.

I am still able to push fuel through the carbs.

I cranked the motor several times today and it idled well. The last time I cranked it, (I had just flooded it out pretty good) it began to surge really bad. Very high idle for several seconds then back to regular idle, then back to very high idle. What could be the cause of this?

I’m still using the same plugs, I did clean them once today but not before I cranked it the last time.
    Last edited by D_Wade85; 09-24-2021 at 04:35 PM.