Carpet padding questions

Carpet has been purchased from Ranger and is sitting in my garage. I need advice on carpet padding. I just don’t get how you do it on the areas besides the lids. The lids seem pretty straight forward. Cut flush to the edge of lid and wrap around underneath. How do you do the regular carpet edges since they don’t have a way to wrap around anything to clamp them down? How do you keep the carpet sticking to the floor without the foam wanting to pull the carpet up since the foam is taller. Does that makes sense? Obviously around the carpet edges you’ll have to cut the foam an inch or two short so your carpet can be glued down but won’t it be susceptible to peeling up on the edges since the foam is taller?

I can’t believe there isn’t even 1 video on YouTube showing how to install padding underneath carpet on a bass boat. I’ve search everywhere and have found nothing and I feel I have decent YouTube search skills. 😂

Anyone care to explain how to do this?

Also I bought my carpet glue from Ranger along with my carpet and it’s different than anything else I’ve seen in the YouTube videos. It’s clear and runny like syrup. I think it might actually be contact cement. I just carpeted my seat mold to install my new seats and it was a pain to work with. Soon as I brushed it on it was already wanting to dry. I thought you were supposed to use a trowel to spread the glue. You can’t spread this glue with anything other than a brush. No way.

I would taper the foam along the edges. Don't know about the glue, I've always used contact cement and paint roller.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

3. Member
    I've done a few now. Taper the edges and glue the padding down first. I've never had an issue with contact cement. Apply to the deck and the foam. Don't apply right away. Let it sit till it"s almost dry then apply.

4. Member
    I've done about 100 padded decks and 40-50 with full padding. Any place that has a hinge gets cut at a 45% angle, you want the lids to open, even the front deck where the lid opens up. Glue all the padding down, and then go back and carpet it. Birdsong makes a glue to go under rubber, it will dry where he yellow weldwood may not. Buy a 50 pack of razor blades, the padding doesn't cut easy with a dull blade, and neither does the carpet.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    It’s a double glue down. Padding to deck then carpet to padding. Bevel the hinge side at a 45 degree angle. Both side of the hinge.‘weld wood contact cement is what I used. The key to it is following the directions on the can and you will have no problems wth it sticking or drying. Also make sure you have an extra set of hands. When you set the work in place there is no going back. It’s stuck!
    leave at least a 1-1/2 inch gap on your edge of the padding and bevel those too. The only exception to that is the hatch lids I ran the padding to the edge of the hatch however I did bevel the hatch lids all the way around. I may catch some grief for this but the easiest way I found to bevel the padding is a hot knife.

6. Member
    Where is the best place to buy the padding from and is there different thickness? Brand?

7. Member
    1/4 inch boat carpet com

8. Member
    PM sent.