Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got boat back from the shop. Top cap looks terrible.

Boat had been there since August 2nd. Picked it up today and it looked like it had been in the sun for 3 years! Even though they said it was in the shop for a while. I swear it seems like I can’t get this boat to the point where it’s worry free and I can just go fish.

Debating on trying to tackle a potential wet sand in spots and another polish/wax or just pay a professional to do it? I’m shocked how much different it looks. Beforehand there was just a small amount back by the engine. Now half of it looks chalky. Does anyone have a ballpark on what doing the top cap might cost? Or if I do it myself what products you would recommend? I may try a coat of wax tomorrow just to see what that does.
    Thanks.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    There is a couple places near me that charge around 20 to 25 dollars a foot to do the top cap and sides of a bass boat. I wet sanded and buffed a Stratos a few years ago. It wasn’t bad but I wouldn’t mind spending 500 to have it done on my Ranger.

Aging boats and sunshine can be a difficult situation. Stored in a garage is not bad, subject them to sunshine and the deterioration can be progressive.

4. Banned
    Wax won't solve your problem. It may temporarily mask the oxidation, but won't remove it. A rotary buffer, wool pad, heavy cut compound and possibly some wet sanding are what's needed.

Once the gel coat is properly corrected it's a good idea to apply a sealant or coating with good UV inhibitors. When I say good sealant or coating I'm referring to ceramic, graphene or metal oxide professional coatings.

If you don't protect it you'll forever be chasing oxidation.

5. Member
    I had the same issue. I had two boats, left my fire engine red Basscat at a shop for motor work. Got it back two months later it was chalked up and oxidized because they had left it outside. It happens and it sucks, you'll have to get it sanded down.

Try Lon Annis in Appling Ga (Augusta).

7. Member
    Get in touch with Ted in North Carolina. User name is crank68. He does great work and is a regular contributor here on BBC. HIs web site is ncboatguy.com
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I had the top cap redone on my old TR20, back in 2014ish and it was over $6,000.

9. Member
    You have a 2013 basscat and it’s already doing that??? Do you keep it outside?? Uncovered??

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Get in touch with Ted in North Carolina. User name is crank68. He does great work and is a regular contributor here on BBC. HIs web site is ncboatguy.com
    THIS! Ted is great to work with!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    I had the top cap redone on my old TR20, back in 2014ish and it was over $6,000.
    sounds like you did a little more than a a wet sand, compound and wax.

12. Member
    You may be able to cleanup with a buffer and a good compound. Follow with a good sealant and/or marine wax.

13. Member
    Wet sand with 1500 or 2000 depending on how bad it is and the buff with buffing compound and then polish with foam pad and polishing compound , you could get it done in a few evenings after work. It’s harder to burn gel coat but be careful on any corners.

14. Member
    Brent,
    Another one you can ask is Marine Pro (aka Falcon Boats) in Newberry. I've heard they do amazing work. IDK what they'd charge.

Hate to hear it's been a continual struggle ....... keep your chin up buddy!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

15. Member
    Brent, another option is to get in touch with Joe at Pro Tech Products (678 478-4709). He is the owner, and may be able to guide you and has a product that may remove the oxidation. Even if you want to give wet sanding a whirl on your own, he could probably help you. BTW, he is also a BCB owner
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    I had a similar issue years ago. What I found out was that the shop had done some sanding / cleaning in the area where my boat was stored while they did service on it. The grit that was deposited on my boats clear coat acted like an abrasive and when the shop decided to wipe the boat off they just wiped the grit off which really hurt the gel coat shine. Needless to say I was not pleased and required them to have the gel coat restored on the back half of the boat. I also would never ever use that shop again. Look at your boat closely and make sure that the damage is just from the sun is my advice.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    You have a 2013 basscat and it’s already doing that??? Do you keep it outside?? Uncovered??
    Well I’ve only had it a year. But I keep it in the garage. Before taking it in it was basically one spot. I tried a little compound and wax and it shined it up though. It’s not rough to the touch and for now at least I need to buy some things (maybe Pro-tech) and see what I can do.
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Wrap it.......

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoHogs View Post
    THIS! Ted is great to work with!
    This is the man.

20. Member
    2013 and having that issue, that sucks. Sounds like previous didnt take care of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast