Some more pre purchase questions

Sorry. I have a few more questions.

My plan was from the factory: ultrex with mdi, helix 8 msi+ at console, helix 9 or 10 with mdi+ up front for the ultrex and future mega 360. But I have questions below. Should I maybe be setting myself up differently?

1. I'm going to get an ultrex with the Mdi transducer. I'm trying to understand the difference between Mdi and Mdi+. Is it merely a depth difference and clarity or is there more to it? Would I be better off saving the money on the built in Mdi in the ultrex and just get the universal sonar and then slap a mdi+ transducer on the ultrex instead? I won't be in water deeper than 80-100' in my area ever.

2. I'm going to add 360 eventually so I didn't know what would be my best plan of action. If I have a di+ (I say plus cause you need a + model to use mega 360 on it correct?) fish finder upfront to use the ultrex builtin mdi transducer can I still use that fish finder for mdi and also for the 360? so be able to access the 360 and the mdi ultrex transducer on the same fish finder. it's just a separate cable thing right? can you split screen them? if so is a 9 inch screen too small to do so. I assume yes.

I'm sorry if these are rookie questions but I fish with guys who know the lakes they fish and don't rely on a lot of this new tech so it's hard to ask them questions like this. I'm just trying to get myself rigged as properly as possible within reason.

2. Member
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...-2dmdi-y-cable

Did I just answer part of my own question:

I use this to hook the mega 360 and the built in ultrex mdi transducer to a helix 9,10, or 12 mdi+ model?

1. The + is more power with a G3 or G4 than a G2=more Range and Depth capability.

2. The MEGA 360 is a rotating Side Imaging transducer, it does SI or 360 but not at the same time. It does no other function.
    It REPLACES SI on a SI+ model and ADDS SI to a DI+ model.
    It connects to the display's SI circuit locations in the transducer port.
    If you want a depth readout/2D sonar/ Temp/ Down Imaging, you have share the unit's transducer port with the MEGA 360 via a MEGA 360 Y cable. OR you can got those shared from another unit via Ethernet.

As to which transducer to combine with the MEGA 360 on the same unit, it depends on your need for a trolling motor if the transducer fails. Lots easier to change the Humminbird XTM transducer than the Minnkota built-in.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...-2dmdi-y-cable

Did I just answer part of my own question:

I use this to hook the mega 360 and the built in ultrex mdi transducer to a helix 9,10, or 12 mdi+ model?
    You use that cable with the Minnkota built-in MDI transducer and have to convert the unit plug to 7-pin with either the included 10' 14-pin to 7-pin adapter or the 3' Minnkota MKR-MI-1.

If you decide on the Humminbird transducer on a US2 trolling motor then you use the 9 M360 2DDI Y cable and don't need to do any adapting.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    ok Wayne I think I got it.

So my setup:

Ultrex with mdi transducer and ipilot link.
    mega 360 on ultrex
    helix 9 mdi+ at bow
    helix 8 msi+ at console with transducer off back of boat
    with that setup:

1. my bow helix 9mdi+ will get mdi and 2d data from the ultrex and the mega 360 will give me 360 on the helix 9, but I will also now have side imagining on my helix mdi+ even though it isn't msi cause the 360 allows this.
    2. when I need temp and depth I will get it from the bow helix 9 via the y cable but can I also get it through ethernet from the console helix 8? do I have that correct?
    3. while on ethernet. . . my ultrex link. if I want to be able to save and get data from bow and console fishfinder I need a ethernet switch on the boat right? if I don't have a switch then I have to pick which 1 fish finder I want to send and save data to or from the ultrex?

this is a lot of info. . . .