Confused about Mercury Flo-TorqIII prop hub - help please

I have a 2014 Mercury 115 Optimax (2 stroke) running a 20 inch LaserII prop on a Flo-TorqIII prop hub.
    I had to replace the hub so I ordered the same part number I had purchased 2 years ago.
    When the hub arrived, it had the part number I ordered but looked very different. After research I learned that the Flo-Torq hub series has been replaced with the SSR series, so I was ok until I read a confusing note indicating the hub was not to be used on 2 stroke engines.
    I found this chart on the Mercury website. Do you interpret this as not suitable for 2 strokes? If so what do I use.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    It sure looks like the s s r would work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    It sure looks like the s s r would work for you.
    That’s what I thought until I saw that all the 2 strokes are checked in the “Non-SSR” row and the note 3 in the foot notes says that not recommended because of shifting problems.
    if they are not recommended for the two strokes, then why did they use the same part number as the two stroke hub?
    Really Confusing.

I sent an email to Mercury Customer Service and got an answer I did not want. The only Mercury hub currently being manufactured for 2 strokes is the Flo-TorqII, Mercury discontinued the Flo-TorqIII and IV. The SSR series is only for 4 Strokes and in their infinite wisdom, they used the same part number as the Flo-TorqIII (835257K9).
    They suggested that I check eBay for old stock and make sure that the item for sale is actually a Flo-TorqIII but I already tried that and all I found was Flo-TorqII’s.
    I bought the one I have from Amazon and the picture, description and part number were for a Flo-TorqIII, even on the packing slip, but it was an SSR hub.
    This is a huge mess and Mercury needs to fix it.
    Meanwhile, us Optimax guys will have to use Flo-TorqII’s and put up with the prop rattle.

5. Member
    If you're trying to get rid of prop rattle, Rubex hub kits are basically the same at Flotorq II but with a rubber sleeve instead of plastic and they're available for all motors. When I changed to a 4 blade on my SHO the rattle was brutal with a Flotorq hub. It's totally gone with the Rubex (and still good after 2 years).
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    I tried the Rubex hub on my 75 Optimax, and the rattle was just as bad. I changed to a Flo Torq III hub and the rattle disappeared. Even my prop guy was surprised that the Rubex hub didn't fix it....OOps, just rememberedbthat my Rubex was an aluminum that came with a pressed-in hub. Sorry for the confusion...
    Last edited by greenfshrmn; 09-27-2021 at 10:27 AM.