NFC XRay VS MHX Elite X

Hello
    im having a rod made and I’m trying to decide between a NFC X-ray blank and the MHX Elite X blank.
    It will be used for bottom contact… Jigs and Texas rigs.

Can a few experienced builders offer some guidance?
    Sensitivity comparison?
    Weight Comparison?
    Strength Comparison?
    Experienced insight would be super helpful.
    Thanks and Tight Lines!
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    It's not that easy, define strength and sensitivity to you. If you mean power you just buy a higher powered blank, no one rates all mediums, or med heavies the same, there are philosophical and regional differences in all blank designs, there is no definition, if you mean durability you would have to blow up rods to know that, something most try to avoid. I haven't blown up either, not even close. Sensitivity means different things to people some mean how easy it is to sense the fish by feel alone, while other want a visual cue also, softer, faster tips are better here. Power per weight ratio? Xray, not even close. Quality of materials, Xray, not even close. Blanks of the same power and action will have the same power and bend, it doesn't make a difference what material you use, they won't react the same, but you didn't ask that. Who has the newest graphite? Xray by graphite generations and years, the MHX graphite is decades old in use.

3. Member
    LOL … no offense
    It’s not that complicated … Looking for opinions on which blank guys would use.
    NFC X-ray VS MHX Elite X
    Bottom contact rod …using 14 to 20 lb Flouro fishing Jigs and soft plastics.
    What blank is lighter ?
    What blank would do it better ?
    What blank do guys feel is more durable?
    What blank detects soft strikes and bottom better ?
    Appreciate the advice
    Thank you
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

4. Member
    With all due respect it is just that difficult, I build rods and have for 40+ years. You had no idea the amount of rods I built with the full agreement of customers that they didn't like and didn't want to pay for though they had a written signed contract listing everything they wanted on and done to the finished product. You have no idea how many have associated rod action with rod response, snap, liveliness, hook setting power, what ever you want to call it even though all good rod builders and anglers know they are not the same thing and never have been. Thank god they have been a minority in single digits. Buzzwords and sales speak doesn't put fish in the boat, unrealistic, or uneducated expectations don't either. The very reason you see so many near new rods for sale.

5. Member
    Thanks for the explanation…
    That said …
    can anyone give me a comparison on the 2 blanks please ?
    Thanks and Tight Lines !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Thanks for the explanation…
    That said …
    can anyone give me a comparison on the 2 blanks please ?
    Thanks and Tight Lines !

As Spoonplugger1 stated it isn't quite as simple as that. All X-Ray blanks feel different from each other as do the MHX Elite X. If you had narrowed it down to a specific rod in each model then someone might have both of those to compare. A XF vs F will have some sensitivity differences as will a Med Heavy vs Heavy. And then that all gets more complicated with X-Ray SJ vs MB models.

As general I think the X-Ray are better blanks than MHX Elite X. But that is my personal opinion there may be someone with the opposite opinion. As from Spoonplugger1 first reply everything about the X-Ray blanks are newer than the MHX Elite X blanks leaving me to fell they have newer better technology in them.

Another thing that might help is there a weight range and length you are looking at? Some people will say I want to throw a jig or soft plastic and are talking 1/8oz or 1/4 oz weights. While other are talking 1oz - 2oz range. Much different rods for those applications.

The only MHX Elite X blank I own is the NMB873.5-MHX. It is a good rod but it is not something I pick up every time I go fishing. I have many X-Ray MB736 and use one probably every time I fish.

With all of this being said 95% maybe 100% is all personal preference. I do not think you would be upset going with either brand/model. My recommendation is get one now, build it fish it. Then as money/time allows pick up the other brand and build and fish it. Then see which you like best to expand into. At this point I have built Liberty, Rainshadow, NFC, RodGeeks, PointBlank, MHX Elite X, MHX Mag XF, MHX color series, and probably others I can't think of. And have a variety on the deck while fishing. I don't think the MHX Mag XF series, specifically MB812XF-MHX, can be beat for a jerkbait rod. But again all personal preference.

One thing that might sway you on which to start with is availability and how fast you need it or want it. NFC was about 2 - 3 weeks shipping one of my recent orders. I have placed another order that hasn't shipped yet. If you want the rod within a week and the MHX Elite X is in stock that would be your best option of getting it within a week. If you are fine waiting a month possibly up to 6 weeks then NFC is an option.
    Last edited by denraytay; 09-23-2021 at 06:50 PM.

7. Member
    jigs and texas rig... x-Ray sj725 or the MB724( more of a 3/4oz. rod).. I personally like the 725 for jigs

8. Member
    Ok SJ 725 Thank you !
    I also hear the SJ736 is on the heavier side of Med Hvy ?
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

9. Member
    I definitely don’t think the SJ736 is not on the heavy side of MH. If anything it’s on the light side of MH. Imo a SJ736 is not a true Heavy, it’s more of a true MH with a soft tip
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    What’s your thoughts on the MB736 ?
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

11. Member
    I don’t have any experience with the MB series but when I was tossing up between the MB736 and the SJ736, I was told the MB has a softer more parabolic action. It’s good for 1/8-3/8oz In light cover. The SJ is better for 1/4-1/2oz in sparse cover and laydowns. Imo the SJ is perfect for weightless senkos and light Texas rigs like a 3/8oz.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    I have built 7 of the MB736 and 3 of the SJ736 blanks, I really like both blanks. I have built the MB736 into both bait caster and spinning rods, I personally have two I built as spinning rods I use for small mouth in Erie, Onieda and Ontario. I am a long time Kistler rod user when they built with NFC blanks, I think the MB feels like the Light Med Heavy action rods they built, I would say its a medium fast tip I really like this blank and have ordered more. The SJ736 has a slightly heavier power I would say a true Medium Heavy action (light side of heavy) I have only built the SJ as a casting rod and it handles real well, I would agree with ECobb91 on this models performance with one exception I think its good up to a bit heavier weights I think up to the 1/4 to 3/4 range. The MB spinning I use for small mouth I drop shot up to 1/2 oz weights and it performs great and has handled up to 5 pound small mouth with no problems. I have drug tubes up to 3/8 oz and its a great rod for feeling the bottom and has the backbone for good hook sets. I like the 7'3" for dragging with long line so I have a bigger sweep when setting the hook as well.

13. Member
    Really appreciate both your and Ecobb’s input .
    I’m up in Massachusetts so the SJ736 I think would be the perfect blank for 1/4 to 3/8 Jigs and Texas rigs .
    What I always try and keep in mind is by the Time you put a trailer on a 1/4 or 5/16 oz jig it weighs 3/8 oz.
    The MB736 I think would be more of a true Finesse Jig blank.. Possibly weightless worms as well .
    Sounds like the SJ725 would be more of a True Heavy for 3/8 to 1 ounce Jigs and Texas rigs ?
    Again really appreciate your help ..
    Thanks and Tight Lines !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

14. Member
    I have also built 3 of the SJ725 rods, even with the ratings on this blank called out as Medium Heavy and the ratings on the SJ736 called out as heavy I think the SJ725 does perform as a heavier action rod.

The X-ray ratings can be "odd" I always like holding one to really get the feel more than by the ratings, I also look at the line and lure rating and blank dimensions more than the ratings of medium heavy or heavy.

These two blanks are prime examples of this, the SJ725 is Med Heavy but its 12 to 20, 3/8 to 1 with a Butt of .61 and tip of 5.5.....the SJ736 is Heavy but has 10 to 17, 1/4 to 1, with a Butt of .57 and tip of 4.6
    so even with the SJ736 called out as heavy and the SJ725 as med heavy everything about it shows the SJ725 as a heavier action rod?

Harrys reply is gold. The power ratings and even the power "numbers" (5 vs. 6 in the example he gave where the 5 is more powerful than the 6) from NFC mean next to nothing in my experience. It took me a while to figure that out, and I still think it's frustrating. The lure weight ratings and butt and tip diameters are the best way to try to dial it in. The MB vs. SJ differences in actions still confuse me and don't seem that consistent--the explanation from harrys two replies above fits with my experience generally--but in any case the lure weight ratings are accurate enough to at least get you in the right ballpark in terms of power.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360