Thread: Oil Pressure

Oil Pressure

Ser. #3B051079

What is normal oil pressure for the 200 PRO XS 4 stroke? At Idle and 6000 RPM?
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trick question, right?

Ambient temps and running conditions will affect the pressures (as will what oil is used).

Running the 10w30 Synthetic BLEND, we normally see pressures ranging from 21-95 psi at idle, and 58-130 psi at WOT. Colder temps are often in the upper end of this range, while extreme atmospheric temps and hard engine running may yield results near the lower end.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Not a trick question, I was seeing those pressures on Vessel View, higher than I thought.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

4. Member
    Oil temp makes a big difference in oil pressure. I’ve see as low as 18 psi after a long hard run when oil temp is 230. Within a couple minutes at idle speed oil speed pressure is back in the 20s as oil temp starts to cool.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was just messing with ya, Jim- since they vary considerably with temperature.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Do they really need all that pressure and why.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- and because they were designed that way. Unlike most automobile engines that commonly run in the 650 - 3000 RPM range at varying loads, your V8 Fourstroke is under FULL load as soon as it's placed in gear (and it is often expected to run at 5500+ RPM's for hours). Thus the engines have to be designed with ample oil pressure, and flow to protect them in hash environmental (and use) conditions.