Starting battery size

What size starting battery do you tin boat owners have in your boat? I have a group 24 powering everything from my jackplate, powerpoles, 2 lowrance live 12, motor, pumps,etc. Everything except for the trolling motor. I only really use the powerpoles a few times, lowrance units, and outboard on a typical fishing trip. Its apparently come time to change it out. I would drop a group 31 starting battery in there if I didn't have to rearrange everything in my battery compartment including my powerpole pumps. What do you guys have on your boat?

2. Member
    Interstate 27M-XHD...

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I have the Dealer installed Interstate in it now...BUT when it fails I will go to a Duracell AGM 27. I had them in my Triton 21 and they were flawless.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

4. Member
    X2 Power 27 AGM, it's a beast for a group 27 battery

5. Banned

6. Member
    31 Diehard AGM for the starter. 27 Diehard AGM for the others. Remember, your Electronics run off your starter.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    Duracell 27 AGM, but I'm finding that's still not enough to run my livewell, Solix, and Helix, and lights for an entire 8 hour day on an electric only lake where I can't charge by running the outboard. I'm now looking at using a standalone lithium ion for my graphs.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

8. Member
    How many of you run your fish finders off of trolling motor battery and power poles off another trolling motor battery. Just have the starting battery for the motor only?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish0093 View Post
    How many of you run your fish finders off of trolling motor battery and power poles off another trolling motor battery. Just have the starting battery for the motor only?
    Not many
    2011 Lowe Skorpion, 18hp nissan, Ultrex, Helix 9 G3, Impulse Lithium

10. Banned
    I like to run all accessories off of the starting battery because the motor will keep it charged. If the trolling motor batteries start to run down the trolling motor will still work just run slower, electronics aren't like that, they require a certain amount of voltage to work.

11. Member
    When I setup my current boat, I kept the engine, electronics, and trolling motor separated to minimize any interference. I run a group 27 just for the engine and starting. Then, I have a separate group 31 120ah 12v lithium for all electronics, live-well pumps, and lights. No power poles, but it also powers a stern mounted 12v trolling motor that is only used occasionally. For the main bow mounted trolling motor, I have a dedicated 100ah 36v lithium.

12. Member
    My triton tin came with a size 24 cranking battery and it did fine with just 2 Garmin 93sv units. I replaced then with 2 12 inch helix units last year and kept one Garmin for mapping. First trip out we killed the battery in 4 hours. I replaced it with a 31 size Duracell agm. Had to rearrange all 3 batteries to make room but haven't had a hiccup since! These new big screen units draw a lot of power and I plan on adding livescope soon so I may have to add something else to power it. It's a vicious cycle lol
    Derek McCarty

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I still use a Group 24 for my starting and electronics battery but I made sure I found one with 1000 CCA as this size seems to vary a lot in capacity. I do tend to turn of electronics when I'm not using them. For instance, when I'm up front I will often turn off the unit by the cockpit. I think the less pinging on pressured waters the better chance of catching something. I dream of lithiums, maybe someday.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Member
    I added a 2nd Duracell group 31 to my starter side. but i run 4 graphs and live scope as well as Bluetooth radio all day. never gets under 12.5v even after 12hrs out
    jerrysroadservice@gmail.com
    2017 Lund Pro V Bass 1875