Mercury NEMA 2000 Gateway Module and Junction Box

I have a 2021 Merc 250 ProXS 4 Stroke on a 2021 Ranger z520L and want to install a Merc NEMA 2K Gateway to get engine data onto my Lowrance units. While it looks like a simple install on the surface I have run into a small roadblock. Wondering if anyone has installed one of these? My main issue is that I have not been able to locate a Smartcraft junction box already in the boat to connect the NEMA Gateway. I now have gotten a junction box, but the schematic that came with the junction box indicates that it should be connected to the Engine Harness. At this point I am at a loss on where there would be an empty lead for that harness or if there is another cable required to make these connection? Appreciate any advice.

2. Member
    I just went through this myself.

If your boat didn't come with any SmartCraft gauges, then it likely doesn't have the SmartCraft harness between the motor and helm. If that is the case, then you'll need to purchase and install one - part number 84-879982T20. Keep in mind that the last 2 digits are the harness length, in this case 20 being 20' and they are available in different lengths. This cable is directional, so keep that in mind, as well.

Assuming you already have an NMEA2K network installed?

This diagram shows a basic SmartCraft and NMEA2K network needed to get engine data on your Lowrance. The only difference is that, in my case, I used a MercMonitor gauge as my gateway, in your case you'd just replace that with your gateway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-22-2021 at 03:53 PM.

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I should have stated, i do have a Nema 2k network and a smart craft gauge at the console. Where I’m stopped is locating a junction box that was installed at the factory or where is could add one into the system.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Unlikely that Ranger installed a J-Box in your boat. Was the Smartcraft Instrument you have installed at the Factory? WHICH Smartcraft Instrument do you have?

I would strongly encourage you to NOT consider the older NMEA-2000 Gateway as it is essentially obsolete now (several different options to replace it). Depending on which Lowrance units you have, there are likely much more suitable options.

You can also check out Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum)- if you drop her an email, she can assist you with the various options/BBC member pricing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Apologies - Did not see that post when I started requesting the info.

The engine is a 2021 Mercury ProXS 250 4 Stroke. The gauge was installed at the factory, it is a MercMonitor Eco Gauge. I have Lowrance HDS 12 Live units with Nema2k Network installed.

I have learned that there is no J-Box in the boat. I would be interested in suggestions on other options to get Mercury Engine data displayed on Lowrance HDS Live units. Thanks :)

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As requested- please provide your Engine Serial Number when posting. Thanks!

Your options would include:

-Replace the BASIC/ECO Monitor with a Level-1 or higher

-Add a Vesselview Link and Junction Box to accomodate both the Basic/Eco Monitor AND the VesselView Link

BOTH options would require a NMEA-2000 Network (minimum of a basic starter kit).

See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum... if you drop her an email, she can provide you with special BBC member pricing, as well as any accessories you might need (such as a Water Pressure Sensor- or setup for BOTH digital and analog water pressure if you like).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for the feedback