Thread: deck lighting

deck lighting

Has anyone used license plate lights on their decks for lighting. Seems to me with the shroud it would be a good way to cut out the glare from the lights. The problem is I dont think they will be bright enought to really help. If anyone has done this or has an opinion let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    My worry besides the light being limited would be that it will stick out too far. That’s a recipe to catch rods, line, net or feet. I think at some point it will get broken off.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

3. Member
    Have a look at the Oznium bolt type lights. Very onubtrusive, very bright, and inexpensive. Lots of info here on BBC on them and lot use them.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    I put ozoniums on my deck very pleased
    Recommend dimmer switch

5. Member
    https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...d-applications

Bluewater LED has great kits.

Green and Red are the best colors to preserve your night vision.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

6. Member
    I purchased the Bluewater Kit for my skeeter. They are awesome. A buddy put together an identical kit with cheap amazon specials. Lights are virtually identical but he paid 1/4 of the price I did. Maybe longevity of the amazon ones would be questionable but it's been a year and no issues yet. If I could do it again I'd save the money and go the route he did.

$40 on Amazon gets you enough LED strip lights to do the gunnels of a 19 foot boat

IMG_20210715_083426793_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by @Reel_Chris; 09-28-2021 at 11:10 AM.

8. Member
    Blue Water LED (white) with a dimmer switch. Do it once and do it right.
    Don't do RED or Blue. It messes with your eyes all night.
    Been here, done this.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmsupra View Post
    Blue Water LED (white) with a dimmer switch. Do it once and do it right.
    Don't do RED or Blue. It messes with your eyes all night.
    Been here, done this.

As a professional aviator for 45 years, in the USAF (F16s) for 22 years and 23 years at American Airlines, with thousands of hours of night flying, I can emphatically tell you green and red are the best for preserving night vision at low illumination levels! I was a NVG (night vision goggle) instructor for years. Why do you think all NVGs, HUD (heads up display), helmet mounted displays are green and cockpit instruments are predominantly red background? Any lights turned up too high are bad no matter the color. The purpose of the lights on a bass boat are to simply illuminate the hull so as to not fall out, not pimp your ride! White inside all the boxes and live wells for sure. Blue, purple, etc are terrible for night vision but look cool……..The headlamp I wear on my hat is off until I need it to tie on a bait, remove a hook etc and always takes a minute or two to get good night vision back. Keep all lights as dim as you can stand it. High illumination levels of any color ruins your night vision and will certainly drive you nuts.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 09-28-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    As a professional aviator for 45 years, in the USAF (F16s) for 22 years and 23 years at American Airlines, with thousands of hours of night flying, I can emphatically tell you green and red are the best for preserving night vision at low illumination levels! I was a NVG (night vision goggle) instructor for years. Why do you think all NVGs, HUD (heads up display), helmet mounted displays are green and cockpit instruments are predominantly red background? Any lights turned up too high are bad no matter the color. The purpose of the lights on a bass boat are to simply illuminate the hull so as to not fall out, not pimp your ride! White inside all the boxes and live wells for sure. Blue, purple, etc are terrible for night vision but look cool……..The headlamp I wear on my hat is off until I need it to tie on a bait, remove a hook etc and always takes a minute or two to get good night vision back. Keep all lights as dim as you can stand it. High illumination levels of any color ruins your night vision and will certainly drive you nuts.
    Roger that!

11. Banned
    red is awesome for night and does not attract bugs