Fishing rod question...

Feel kinda dumb asking this question, but need some help. For numerous years I threw a shakey head on a Abu Garcia spinning rod. Well last year that rod broke. I loved that rod for throwing a shakey head because the feel was just right. Now, here's the thing I need help with. I felt like I could fish the shakey head with that rod perfectly, and caught a lot of fish on it, and when throwing a shakey head instead of dragging it, I like to basically bounce it on the bottom 3-4 times, then let it sit a few seconds, then bounce it 3-4 more times, etc..... Well that rod that broke was perfect for it. I have been unable to find that same rod, but have bought a few others to replace that shakey head rod, however I just cannot get the same feel out of the other rods I've purchased as I had with the rod that I used for years that broke. It seems like with these other rods I've tried, I cant "bounce" it on the bottom like I did with the old rod that broke. Seems when I try to bounce the shakey, the tip is too soft and flexes too much and more-less pulls it ratherthan bounces/hops it, which takes a lot of the feel away. I don't know what the action/taper was on that old rod I had that broke was, but the ones I've tried replacing it with are a medium action, fast taper, and they just don't do what I want them to do when fishing a shakey head. The number of fish I catch on a shakey head has gone WAY down since I broke that rod and can't find the identical replacement. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Member
    Was that rod a Villain 2.0??? Imo that was a fantastic rod

3. Member
    No sir, actually it was a vendetta (cheapo) but it was perfect for how I fish the shakey head. When it broke, I just ordered another, same size, action, taper.... but it appeared they had made some changes to the rod from the older version I had to the newer version I bought to replace it, and just don't get the feel out of the new one that I did with the old one. After that, I tried a couple other rods, but just cant get the same feel for throwing the shakey that I did out of that older cheapo vendetta.

4. Member
    Have you tried medium heavy with an extra fast taper? In my opinion the older vendettas were very stiff. I only had two of the casting models and hated them for what its worth.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    Have you tried medium heavy with an extra fast taper? In my opinion the older vendettas were very stiff. I only had two of the casting models and hated them for what its worth.
    I haven't, I've been trying medium action's with a fast tip/taper. That's what I liked about the older vendetta was the stiffer tip/taper, it helped with the way I liked to work a shakey head. That's kinda what I was wondering, what action/taper I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    This. Abu in general, but particularly the Vendettas are really overpowered for their rating. I suspect the rods you're trying to replace it with are more "true" medium, less power than what you're used to, so they don't feel the same. Get a MH in another brand (or if you happen upon a Phenix, get a H), I bet you'll be happy. Fast or extra fast action should be fine.

Otherwise, Tackle Warehouse has 7' medium Vendettas on sale for $70. Not sure if that's the same one you had or not. They do look like the newer version.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    I've tried the newer Vendetta's, not the same feel in my opinion.... don't have any experience with the Veritas, thought about trying one of them. Anyone have any experience with the Veritas spinning rods? Do the tip on them feel heavier/slower than other rods? Cause that's what I'm looking for, something that doesn't flex too much at the top when bouncing a bottom bait, cause if it does it feel like it just kinda pulling and bending instead of bouncing/hopping like I like to do with a shakey head, and I lose all feel pretty much.

The problem with rod actions, in my opinion, is that there's no agreement at all about what extra fast means. Usually rods are pretty similar that are labeled with a fast action. But extra fast seems to mean one of two things, and it's a wild card as to which you'll get: Some companies take it to mean a really soft tip that transitions quickly to the rod's backbone, while others take it to mean that the backbone arrives "extra fast" and you've essentially got a broomstick at whatever power the rod sits at. Then you have mod-fast which ends up having the same issue, noodly tip, or broomstick. I've even handled rods in the same line where their mod-fast and extra fast models have the same damn action which makes zero sense. It's infuriating, but until we get some sort of standardized system that the industry buys into, I don't know how you avoid it. And to be fair to the industry, rod actions are so varied across blanks and materials, it's probably not reasonable to try to drop them into what amounts to one of 4 buckets for bass rods: xfast, fast mod-fast (reg-fast), moderate (regular).

I think heavier power will be the key here. Once you've got a rod with enough ass to it, I think a simple fast action is likely to get you close to where you want to be without having to play the guessing game on what a given company means by "extra fast" or "mod-fast." I've *generally* found that lower price point rods (like under $150) labeled x-fast are more in the broomstick category, which is why I mentioned that as a possibility above. It's *usually* the higher end sticks where you see "extra fast" mean a soft tip. Tons of exceptions to that, though.

You are throwing them on braid to a leader, right? If not, make that switch. That should help a ton!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Thanks for all the replies and insight fellas, and Drew, yes, it is infuriating. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse today and felt several rods and the tips of them, it's weird how you get the same rod (same action & taper) and it feels totally different from one brand to the next. I agree I think going to a heavier action is key here. The rod that broke that I loved to throw a shakey on was a medium action, well today I picked up a Veritas medium heavy and it felt very close to what I've been looking for. I guess I'll find out next time on the water. Thanks again!

10. Member
    The St Croix medium extra fast rods may be what you are looking for.

Here's what we offer. And I fish a shakey sorta like you - lots of little bounces/hops.

12. Banned
    I know they are cheap but a 6'6" medium Vengeance rod is what I use for shakey heads and it works great for $50 it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke512 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and insight fellas, and Drew, yes, it is infuriating. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse today and felt several rods and the tips of them, it's weird how you get the same rod (same action & taper) and it feels totally different from one brand to the next. I agree I think going to a heavier action is key here. The rod that broke that I loved to throw a shakey on was a medium action, well today I picked up a Veritas medium heavy and it felt very close to what I've been looking for. I guess I'll find out next time on the water. Thanks again!
    For what it's worth, I throw a shakey head on a 7' MH Veritas 2.0. It just feels right to me instead of a medium.