Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Actually, there are lots of jobs, but that may not be the job you're looking for. As a retired 60+ year-old sales executive, I know there would be very few opportunities for a guy like me. Your chances of getting many jobs drop exponentially once you get past 50 and even more past 60. Most older workers are forced to take a job earning less, being asked to move to another area, and take on more work than they were accustomed to in their previous position. I couldn't handle working in a warehouse for $20/hour at my age, so I retired and just work part-time to supplement my SS. Life isn't fair for older workers.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    As a 55 year old professional B2B sales executive , I don't find this to be true. I belong to a networking group of like professionals who are looking for mid level and up sales positions and let me tell you ,, it's rough out there finding a home. I will make a side note that if you are an IT or software sales guy there are plenty of well paid positions out there. Unfortunately I'm not either of those although I have a large customer base that could use their services.

I'll keep plugging ,, but I get a little mad when I hear people saying it's easy to find a job.

Agreed!

My better half is 40 and the VP of her company with 20 year background in sales and marketing.

She has been looking and has applied to a few different positions. Not even a return email.

I think most of these positions available are in "hands on" positions such as; retail, nursing, the trades, etc.
    Huntin' Ducks, Chasin' Pheasant, Catching Fish

3. Member
    move to Raleigh , the Janitors at the big firms there make $50K per year ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Careerbuilder.com lists over 2500 jobs with B2B sales executive search. Depending upon the industry, some businesses may not not be in need of b2b salespeople calling on them right now. There are ALWAYS sales jobs available for GOOD salespeople. May not be the same product or industry. I have found most salespeople are not as good as they think. It does not take much to sell a cold bottle of water on a very hot day. A select few can sell ice to Eskimos.
    I agree with this. I am not pointing this at the OP but a good salesman that closes business is never short of a job or opportunity. The reason most sales people fail is because they aren't willing to do what it takes....cold calling, door knocking, leaning into a no so you can move forward etc. In almost all B2B sales, it's a numbers game. If you have a selling talent and are willing to grind and do what it takes to play the numbers games, the results will fall into place. Most reps these days with 10-15 years experience don't want to do what it takes as they perceive it as "I paid my dues" on cold calling and they want to just be an account manager.

The question I do have is why are you in a networking group for sales with like minded folks looking for jobs? I'm not sure I'd keep networking with folks looking to make a move somewhere else.

5. Member
    Look into a role with a skilled trades service company....electrical, HVAC, Piping, Plumbing, and the likes. Service Trades is damn near recession proof. When the lights go off, ac quits, or toilets quit flushing, people and businesses will do whatever it takes to get those items back up and going. On the commercial side is where you'll find the most $$ and opportunity and You'll be selling to facility managers and maintenance managers that are similar in age. Depending on what you've been selling, you may already have a customer base to call on.

6. Banned
    I see so many of these topics on my local site. My wife is hiring and in dire need. 15hr and a sign on bonus. So I message them to set up a interview with the wife. I don't say where or a wage and never even get a response.

7. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Jobs everywhere, maybe just not in your field. Im in water/waste water and were begging for scum of the earth to apply.0
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

If an employer is begging for employees, they aren't paying enough. If they can't pay enough and be profitable it's time to quit the business.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    If an employer is begging for employees, they aren't paying enough. If they can't pay enough and be profitable it's time to quit the business.
    This just isn't the case. So many companies here with billboards up. 18hr to start retirement and a 1k sign on bonus.

How much is enough?
    Here's a link from a source you guys agree with.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/25/to-a...education.html

100% false. There are a ton of workers that don’t want to work or think they are to good to do certain things. Most places have risen starting wages with added benefits and are still having a hard time getting people to work.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    As a 55 year old professional B2B sales executive , I don't find this to be true. I belong to a networking group of like professionals who are looking for mid level and up sales positions and let me tell you ,, it's rough out there finding a home. I will make a side note that if you are an IT or software sales guy there are plenty of well paid positions out there. Unfortunately I'm not either of those although I have a large customer base that could use their services.

I'll keep plugging ,, but I get a little mad when I hear people saying it's easy to find a job.
    Many folks would tell you sales in any form is a disappearing field. Maybe consider deviating from your previous experiences to find better opportunities.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    We've been looking for mechanics and engineers for a while now. It seems the younger folks are staying away from energy related industries. Not sure if its the type of work, travel requirements, or all of the media talk about removing fossil fuels by 20xx. From my visits to other gas pipeline customers I would say the average age is 55+ and isn't getting any younger.

13. Banned

75,000 to 100,000 to be a class A CDL driver is that enough?

14. Member
    How does the news say it is, in your area? Have to believe what they say.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alliston64 View Post
    Look into a role with a skilled trades service company....electrical, HVAC, Piping, Plumbing, and the likes. Service Trades is damn near recession proof. When the lights go off, ac quits, or toilets quit flushing, people and businesses will do whatever it takes to get those items back up and going. On the commercial side is where you'll find the most $$ and opportunity and You'll be selling to facility managers and maintenance managers that are similar in age. Depending on what you've been selling, you may already have a customer base to call on.
    There are actually openings in HVAC. My issue is they all want HVAC experience which I have none.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alliston64 View Post
    I agree with this. I am not pointing this at the OP but a good salesman that closes business is never short of a job or opportunity. The reason most sales people fail is because they aren't willing to do what it takes....cold calling, door knocking, leaning into a no so you can move forward etc. In almost all B2B sales, it's a numbers game. If you have a selling talent and are willing to grind and do what it takes to play the numbers games, the results will fall into place. Most reps these days with 10-15 years experience don't want to do what it takes as they perceive it as "I paid my dues" on cold calling and they want to just be an account manager.

The question I do have is why are you in a networking group for sales with like minded folks looking for jobs? I'm not sure I'd keep networking with folks looking to make a move somewhere else.
    This is very true, cold calling was the reason I got out of sales. I reinvented myself and went into IT and couldn’t be happier.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI bassassassin View Post
    This is very true, cold calling was the reason I got out of sales. I reinvented myself and went into IT and couldn’t be happier.
    I did the exact same thing. So glad I got out of sales. Well actually I was told to get out back during the recession but still it worked out for the better.

Lack of jobs in your field, doesn't mean there aren't a bunch of available jobs. I see help wanted signs everywhere.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I did the exact same thing. So glad I got out of sales. Well actually I was told to get out back during the recession but still it worked out for the better.
    My 21 year old nephew sells solar. The office cold calls and he goes to those interested. The kid will break 200k this year and I'm not even joking! He said it's the easiest job he's had. If they have CNN on he talks great about Biden. If they have fox on he says Trump was robbed. For those that don't have the TV on he says there's a ton of old people that say he reminds them of their grandchild.

And that's why I'm not talking to him right now. Man I hate salesmen. Seriously, to take money from old people and make like 10k on one job for 30 min of talk. He wasn't raised like this. I'm disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    My 21 year old nephew sells solar. The office cold calls and he goes to those interested. The kid will break 200k this year and I'm not even joking! He said it's the easiest job he's had. If they have CNN on he talks great about Biden. If they have fox on he says Trump was robbed. For those that don't have the TV on he says there's a ton of old people that say he reminds them of their grandchild.

And that's why I'm not talking to him right now. Man I hate salesmen. Seriously, to take money from old people and make like 10k on one job for 30 min of talk. He wasn't raised like this. I'm disappointed.
    He’s not putting a gun to anyone’s head. They can always say no.
    Ranting incoherently

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast