Thread: Buying a Z20

Buying a Z20

Aright guys, question for you. Looking at this 2007 Z20….it’s got some dings. I’m looking for someone to tell me what this could be and how bad it truly could be. In the picture, it’s missing parts of the bottom coat. This is a picture from a buddy of mine. The owner of the marina said it’s the protective skim coat that comes from the factory that is missing. Can’t tell if the red is the gel coat then in the circles. Any thoughts? Also, the owner said he ordered the epoxy that it’s made of to patch it and sand it. Not sure what to think on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I’m not aware of a skin coat (hull coating) ever being put on a boat like this from the factory. Larger boats that set in the water docked 100% of the time often have a hull coating to protect the hull surface. Someone may have added a coat of something to hide some sort of issue. The red color you see is actually the fiberglass. This looks like a big red flag to me.

3. Member
    Looks like the gelcoat is peeling. Unless its a deal thats too good to be true run far and run fast.

4. Member
    Buy a Z20 . . . just not that one.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

5. Member
    I see some serious delamination on the keel in that second photo, looks like the gel coat didn’t bond to the fiberglass. All of the dings are down to the glass. I would walk away.

6. Member
    Those ain’t ‘dings’ brother … not exactly sure what caused those big chunks of the hull to come off but that red stuff is fiberglass which is water permeable (over time). I understand it’s hard to walk away from a boat when it’s a good $$ deal… But this one’s got heartbreak city written all over it. I’d pass.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

7. Member
    Thanks for the input guys

8. Member
    The ones around the drain plug is from the boat sliding off a rock and chipping the edge off. The ones on the keel are from ether water getting under the gel and freezing or the fiberglass didn’t adhere to the gel. I would walk away from that one. The Z20 is a nice boat. A fury prop really helps that hull lift the stern
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

9. mikesxpress
    The gelcoat is missing in multiple spots and the matt is exposed. Repairable if the water hasn't penetrated the glass. Reputable glass shop can check this and most Ranger's don't experience water getting thru the glass unless the area had severe impact damages. Get it jacked up off the bunks and check for osmotic blistering. A strip to the matt, application of epoxy barrier coat, and re-gelcoat of the bottom is going to average $5K.

If it's a boat you really want, get it to a glass shop for quote and discount the sale price accordingly.

*The skim coat comment is a huge line of BS. Take that into consideration.

Skim coat…

Boat needs a lot of work. The other guys have pretty much nailed it. Personally I’d find another boat. That one has been abused.

11. Member
    wow, run

RUN the hell away from that abused boat.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I would not even consider buying this boat.

14. Member
    Got told by dealer that it’s “cosmetic”, along with the integrity of the hull is good, and every boat after 10 years old has issues. Long story, but ended up passing on it. Thank you guys for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach1303 View Post
    Got told by dealer that it’s “cosmetic”, along with the integrity of the hull is good, and every boat after 10 years old has issues. Long story, but ended up passing on it. Thank you guys for the input.
    I wouldn’t do business with that dealer ever.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peach1303 View Post
    A few scuffs and scratches on the bottom of the gelcoat is normal wear and tear. Giant chunks of gelcoat falling off isn't lol. Hopefully they don't fool someone into buying it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    A few scuffs and scratches on the bottom of the gelcoat is normal wear and tear. Giant chunks of gelcoat falling off isn't lol. Hopefully they don't fool someone into buying it.
    What is unfortunate is that someone will not think about asking questions like the OP did and will end up buying this problem.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

If you really want the boat, you could look into getting a gorilla hull coating put on. I've heard its not cheap but might would solve that issue.
    1991 Blazer VLX-150 / 2003 Mercury 150 XR6
    2015 Ranger 521C/ 2019 Mercury Racing 300R