Alpha Angler DSR vs. Dobyns Xtasy

Anyone have both? I have had the AA DSR for a year and love it. Far better than what I was using before. I am also a huge fan of Dobyns. I have reels from the Fury series to the Chanpions. I wanted to try and xtasy so I got the 723sf for drop shotting as that is what I do the most of. I have heard great things about not only the xtasy line but of this particular rod and how sensitive it is. The rod is amazing quality, fit, and finish but I am highly disappointed. The best way I can describe the feeling is dull. Maybe not compared to most rods but at least compared to the DSR. I feel guilty complaining about this rod but the DSR is better for casting, feeling, and catching. I put it through the ultimate test on St Clair and Erie this weekend.

Can anyone relate? Am I missing something? For $550 I want blown away but after trying these, I want to buy more DSR's.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    I have several alpha spinning rods but not the dsr. I have been very happy. I use the finesse/spybait rid for dropshot. Curious how it compares to the dsr model? I do a lot of casting or drifting so I wanted the longer length.

Dobyns has great customer service love the variety. However all my experiences with them left me feeling blah when it comes to feel. Haven't used or owned a dobyns in about 3 years maybe more. It keeps me from trying them again
    Nitro z21

My buddy fishes the 752 xtasy for drop shotting and frankly he raves about it. He doesn’t do a lot of vertical but more casting. I’ll be honest my 755 and 754 were a little less then desired. I won’t tell you what do to with your money, but it’s hard to justify it when you’re not impressed.

4. Member
    I have two DSR rods and I like them. I wanted a high end but not overly pricey rod.
    I broke one, my fault, called them, sent them a picture and without even asking me to send it back, one was in the mail the next day.
    You can ask them any question via e-mail and they answer you.
    I am a big believer in customer service.

5. Member
    Maybe I should give casting it more a try. I was fishing for vertical at the time. The AA just does them both well.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

6. Member
    The Dobyns Xtasy 723SF is way too heavy for drop shot applications. I think the entire Xtasy spinning rod line up is a power heavier than it is rated, as they feel much less "fragile" than the NRX spinning rods. I use the 723SF for texas rigged weightless senkos in the grass/pads for largemouth bass. It is awesome for that application, super sensitive (can feel every pick up) and rugged enough to fight them through the grass. I use 15lb braid to 10lb floro leader and have had ZERO problems.

I have used the AA DSR and it is a really solid rod, but I just felt like something was missing. The rod in the Xtasy lineup that I think is a killer DSR is the Xtasy 722SF. Extremely light, well balanced and insanely sensitive. It is a "tadbit" on the firm side, so you can comfortably fish 3/8 oz drop shot weights no problem, but I am not entirely sure I would fish 6 lb test on this rod. My all time favorite DSR is the Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier 6'10" ML Fast spinning rod. I have literally NEVER lost a fish on that rod, and I fish 6 lb test all the time and routinely land 5lb plus smallies.

Good luck. The great thing about your question is that there are so many great options out there at many different price points. I am currently testing the Ark Reinforcer 6'10" ML XF drop shot rod. Don't have enough time on it to give an opinion, but it is light, comfortable in the hand and pretty sharp looking. :-)

Really hard to beat the 702sf extreme in Dobyns lineup for drop shotting.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

8. Member
    The 723sf is more designed for weightless wacky rig and ned. Which for everything I have read calls it one of the best rods out there sensitivity wise and for keeping them pegged. I am buying one right now for weightless senko.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    The Dobyns Xtasy 723SF is way too heavy for drop shot applications. I think the entire Xtasy spinning rod line up is a power heavier than it is rated, as they feel much less "fragile" than the NRX spinning rods. I use the 723SF for texas rigged weightless senkos in the grass/pads for largemouth bass. It is awesome for that application, super sensitive (can feel every pick up) and rugged enough to fight them through the grass. I use 15lb braid to 10lb floro leader and have had ZERO problems.

I have used the AA DSR and it is a really solid rod, but I just felt like something was missing. The rod in the Xtasy lineup that I think is a killer DSR is the Xtasy 722SF. Extremely light, well balanced and insanely sensitive. It is a "tadbit" on the firm side, so you can comfortably fish 3/8 oz drop shot weights no problem, but I am not entirely sure I would fish 6 lb test on this rod. My all time favorite DSR is the Abu Garcia Fantasista Premier 6'10" ML Fast spinning rod. I have literally NEVER lost a fish on that rod, and I fish 6 lb test all the time and routinely land 5lb plus smallies.

Good luck. The great thing about your question is that there are so many great options out there at many different price points. I am currently testing the Ark Reinforcer 6'10" ML XF drop shot rod. Don't have enough time on it to give an opinion, but it is light, comfortable in the hand and pretty sharp looking. :-)
    Agreed. I bought the 722 from MainlySmallmouth, and I think it'd probably be a better choice for your application. I really have liked using mine, and its perfect with the 1/4 to 3/8 range dropshot. I'll use a 1/2 occasionally on it if I'm fishing extremely deep or windy conditions and it does ok (it's a little overloaded at that weight).

It's very hard for me to quantify sensitivity, so I'd leave that with other guys who have fished more drop shot rods.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package