Question Time for new batteries.

My cranking battery got me 4 years. Last couple of times had to jump the big motor while on the water. My trolling batteries aren't far behind. Time for a new battery set up.

It appears to me that Lithium batteries have stood the test of time so far and seem to be reliable... I have not seen any stories on the BBC of battery failure. Maybe I am wrong. That being said I have an ideal battery set up, and I am trying to find the best way to achieve this at a lesser cost.

I run a 24 volt Ultrex and currently have a G2 Helix 10 mega at console, a G2 Helix 12 SI at the bow. I want to add another graph, therefore I will move the helix 12 to the console and network with the Mega there. I am thinking I want a G4N Helix 15 at bow, and add Humminbird 360 and prepare to add Humminbird Live when it becomes available.

Therefore, I want to run a dedicated 24V Lithium trolling motor battery, a dedicated Lithium electronics battery and then a standard lead acid or agm cranking battery.

My onboard charger is an MK 315D which I don't think will charge the Lithium's fully.

I need input on this set up and what charger will work best.

Any and all opinions welcome, I have some time before I am able to get back on the water with fall farm chores here for a while.

Thanks in advance
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

2. Member
    I was in the same boat last year Kyle, so I'll be watching the responses VERY closely.

Last year, after a lot of study (call it cost vs benefit analysis), I went AGM. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake.....hehehe. The AGM's have been great, so far anyway. However the lithium's, at least from 30k', sure do look like the way to go.

Was going to go Lithium. 2k for 1 starting and 2 trolling motor battery’s.
    I went with 3 31 series AGM’s for $600.00.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    If you go lithium, you'll need to make sure you have a lithium capable charger.
    Lithium batteries require a Constant current/Constant voltage (CC/CV) charge type with simple Bulk, Absorption, Float stages.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    My cranking battery got me 4 years. Last couple of times had to jump the big motor while on the water. My trolling batteries aren't far behind. Time for a new battery set up.

It appears to me that Lithium batteries have stood the test of time so far and seem to be reliable... I have not seen any stories on the BBC of battery failure. Maybe I am wrong. That being said I have an ideal battery set up, and I am trying to find the best way to achieve this at a lesser cost.

I run a 24 volt Ultrex and currently have a G2 Helix 10 mega at console, a G2 Helix 12 SI at the bow. I want to add another graph, therefore I will move the helix 12 to the console and network with the Mega there. I am thinking I want a G4N Helix 15 at bow, and add Humminbird 360 and prepare to add Humminbird Live when it becomes available.

Therefore, I want to run a dedicated 24V Lithium trolling motor battery, a dedicated Lithium electronics battery and then a standard lead acid or agm cranking battery.

My onboard charger is an MK 315D which I don't think will charge the Lithium's fully.

I need input on this set up and what charger will work best.

Any and all opinions welcome, I have some time before I am able to get back on the water with fall farm chores here for a while.

Thanks in advance
    give me a call would be happy to go over lithium options and set up a package for you. 607 467 5700

6. Member
    I love mine, was a great choice
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Member
    I would not run a single 24volt trolling motor battery; two in parallel, yes, but never a single battery. If it dies, you are SOL for as long as it takes to get a replacement. I just wrote an extensive article for WesternBass.com winter magazine, but if you cannot wait I suggest calling Danny Roberts at Stealth 1 Charging (board sponsor) if you would like a great education and options for your needs.

I am running a lithium 100 aHR with starting BMS for a house battery, an X2 AGM for starting battery, and 3 100 aHr lithium trolling batteries with a Ghost motor. If one dies, I can switch to 24 volts, or go buy a cheap 12v lead acid battery from Walmart to substitute until I can replace the lithium. Use a jump start switch and Stealth 1 gauge and you are ready for anything. All 5 batteries are charged by my Stealth 1 charger (AC and DC).
    http://www.stealth1charging.com/
    ciao,
    Marc
    ciao,
    Marc

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    I would not run a single 24volt trolling motor battery; two in parallel, yes, but never a single battery. If it dies, you are SOL for as long as it takes to get a replacement. I just wrote an extensive article for WesternBass.com winter magazine, but if you cannot wait I suggest calling Danny Roberts at Stealth 1 Charging (board sponsor) if you would like a great education and options for your needs.

I am running a lithium 100 aHR with starting BMS for a house battery, an X2 AGM for starting battery, and 3 100 aHr lithium trolling batteries with a Ghost motor. If one dies, I can switch to 24 volts, or go buy a cheap 12v lead acid battery from Walmart to substitute until I can replace the lithium. Use a jump start switch and Stealth 1 gauge and you are ready for anything. All 5 batteries are charged by my Stealth 1 charger (AC and DC).
    http://www.stealth1charging.com/
    ciao,
    Marc
    exactly correct , no single 24 volt.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    3 100 aHr lithium trolling batteries with a Ghost motor. If one dies, I can switch to 24 volts
    Never even thought of that. With these newer brushless motors, simply flip to 24 volts if one battery goes south and you can still fish. Great point.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S