Jumping batteries

I have a. 36 volt Trolling motor system question in case the 12 volt start battery doesn't crank do I just jump one of the trolling motor batteries as in a automobile or will that be to much voltage ?
    Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hortonstn View Post
    I have a. 36 volt Trolling motor system question in case the 12 volt start battery doesn't crank do I just jump one of the trolling motor batteries as in a automobile or will that be to much voltage ?
    Thanks
    You should only jump from the TM battery that has the TM negative cable on it. Though any of the batteries will give you 12V, some setups have connections between the batteries and using one of the other batteries could be bad. Just simpler to remember to use the one with the negative cable to avoid problems.

If you have a Minn Kota TM with a built-in transducer, disconnect it before jumping.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Just for safety you can turn off/ unplug the trolling motor.

In a terrible situation you could take the 36 v jumper wires off and take them to the starting battery and then take your jumper cables to the next battery also. There are emergency jump starter swift at do the jumper cable deal for you if your interested.

but my suggestion is a batteries plus x2 31 agm. I am three years in running quite a load and still no hiccups

also some portable jump starters are small and light compared to a decade ago and work even better than jumping off the deep cycle batteries. Noco gb40? Or so ask about them. I think a gb80 will do a diesel truck.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089