Thread: Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance

Any experience, advice or recommendations when it comes to flood insurance? Building a house on the NC coast, not required, but looking to get for peace of mind...

Thanks guys...

2. Member
    Pretty expensive here and you must apply 30 days before the coverage starts. That is the way it is in Kansas, not sure if it will be the same for your state.

3. Member
    West of the intercoastal is cheaper than east of the intercoastal. The higher you build above the 100 year flood elevation the cheaper your insurance will be. Farm Bureau was the cheapest we found. What part of the coast?

Flood is quoted through FEMA website, after agent gets info from another site, (community code, zones etc.). If you are not in a flood zone, cost is less, high deductible helps. If you are getting different quotes, coverage is not the same. Put same info in, quote should be the same; all through FEMA .
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

Get it. After being here thru Florence and seeing communities flood that never have before it's worth the peace of mind even if it's not required. I'm not in a required area but we got it last year. It was $572 this year over in Brunswick County for me.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

6. Goby King
    I get bent over annually for flood insurance. $3600 this year gets me a $2k deductible and it only covers the house structure, no contents and no coverage on the 2 garages. Can't afford the coverage for contents and each garage requires it's own policy.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    Get it. After being here thru Florence and seeing communities flood that never have before it's worth the peace of mind even if it's not required. I'm not in a required area but we got it last year. It was $572 this year over in Brunswick County for me.
    Agree about the peace of mind. I lived in the New Bern area during Florence and just moved to Carteret County a few months ago. Not required, but we got it too.

8. Member
    We had to have flood insurance on our last house because for some reason it was in the 100 year zone. We lived on Ridge Rd......on top of the ridge.

If that house ever flooded, you best be looking for an ark full of animals

9. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    We had to have flood insurance on our last house because for some reason it was in the 100 year zone. We lived on Ridge Rd......on top of the ridge.

If that house ever flooded, you best be looking for an ark full of animals
    Sounds like you should have applied for a LOMA. If you were indeed out of the flood hazard area based on elevations, the map would have been amended.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Sounds like you should have applied for a LOMA. If you were indeed out of the flood hazard area based on elevations, the map would have been amended.
    At some point our agent did get that changed somehow (probably the way you suggested)

11. Member
    We use Wright National Flood Insurance Company. There's a couple more out there but they're all the same as FEMA runs the National Flood Insurance programs regardless of provider and local agency. Found this a bit odd and a few years ago shopped other local agencies and this is what I was told by all the local agencies that offered flood ins.

Drainage system was changed 30 years ago in our town. No flooding since in my neighborhood . But if you are in a 100 year flood plane and have a mortgage it's required by lenders. It's does provide coverage and feels better to have it opposed to not having it.

We choose to not include contents as by time it's pro-rated it didn't seem like it was worth the premium. Imagine your house is a big box and if you picked it up and turned it upside down the contents would fall out. Everything fastened to house like kitchen cabinets etc etc is covered.

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of thing. Ours is insured for peace of mind as much as anything.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSBUZZ View Post
    West of the intercoastal is cheaper than east of the intercoastal. The higher you build above the 100 year flood elevation the cheaper your insurance will be. Farm Bureau was the cheapest we found. What part of the coast?
    Technically Holly Ridge, we are building in a development called Summerhouse on Everett Bay...pretty excited

13. Member
    Nice area, hope you enjoy it.

14. Member
    Last time a dealt with flood insurance, they sent out an adjuster that must have worked for dairy land insurance. Basically they denied most all contents and must have gotten quote from south of the border contractors. Long story short, i sold everything with even a small chance of flooding. Good luck