96 DT200 Worth It?

I’ve secured a ‘96 DT200 EFI for $600 delivered to my house. No controls, wiring has been cut about 4 ft from the motor, I’m told compression is good and it starts but have not confirmed yet in person. The owner states he purchased it for his boat when he thought his Merc was not repairable but repaired the Merc and doesn’t need it.

He’s the second owner and the original owner stated it sat for 8 years due to a bad transom on his rig but ran fine prior.

I don’t know any other details really.

Is this a good motor? I’ve never had a Zuk. Is the price right? Anything to be concerned about? If it doesn’t run is it easy to work on or find parts (I can work on all other brand outboards).

2. Member
    Are you sure it is E F I? It may be oil injected. They were always very powerful motors, it will probably be a screamer.

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...200(87-97).pdf

3. Member
    Yes this one is EFI. I’m assuming the model number is DT but whatever the case it’s a ‘96 200 EFI.

And that link is great thank you! Now if I can find a wiring diagram I’ll be golden.
    Last edited by SRJbb99; 09-21-2021 at 07:34 PM.

4. Member
    You could post over here

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...rd-parts-forum

We have one or two members there who are knowledgeable about the old 2-smokes!

5. Member
    I would be concerned it was stolen.

6. Member
    Fortunately I’ve seen the title and the owner’s ID so we are good there.

7. Member

8. Member
    Sounds like a great project for a good price. Have fun with it!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

9. Member
    Those are some of, if not the powerful and fastest 2 stokes ever made. The DT series always seemed to pack quite a bit more HP than the number on the cowling suggested. Back in the early 90s my uncle had a 200 on a Skeeter StarFire, and that thing was the fastest boat on Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn. No GPS back then, so no exact numbers. It would run down a Champion 201 with a 235 Rude. They didn’t have any significant mechanical issues, about the same as Merc, Yamaha or Johnson/Evinrude of the era. The somewhat primitive ignition systems were prone to occasional failure. The downside with owning one nowadays is the scarcity of parts, you’ll have to find them if you can on the used market. As far as their condition or quality, your mileage will vary. It’s too bad these motors never found a major market, they were really bad ass.

10. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayloncat View Post
    It’s too bad these motors never found a major market, they were really bad ass.
    just not in usa

commercial guys in Oz run them all day out to 8000+ hours...crazy reliable

11. Member
    Thanks everyone for the input. I bought the motor - compression is good on all cylinders; has spark, but that's all I know for now. I can't lift the damn thing onto my stand without help so waiting for that and I'll begin working on it. Looking forward to it!

Now, if anyone has any controls they want to sell (especially flush side mount for a bass boat), let me know!

12. Member
    I think most controls will work with the Suzuki, most have the option to use a push or pull on the shifter and maybe even the throttle. I think my DF 200 uses a push throttle, and I am using my old Evinrude control side throttle assembly.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I think most controls will work with the Suzuki, most have the option to use a push or pull on the shifter and maybe even the throttle. I think my DF 200 uses a push throttle, and I am using my old Evinrude control side throttle assembly.
    Good to know; I wasn't aware. The original owner cut all of the cables off about 2 feet from the motor, so I've got to get a new wiring harness, throttle cables, hydraulic hoses, etc. So I'm not sure what the throttle connector for Suzuki looks like or if it will connect to any other brand.

Still trying to find a wiring diagram that may help in this scenario but no luck so far.

14. Member
    I had a 99 DT 200 and it was pretty much bullet proof. In the 11 years I owned that boat and motor, I never changed the water pump impeller and it never had an overheating issue or anything. As for throttles go and can find a new throttle cable, I was using a hot foot just fine with it. For the wiring diagram, try and find an old Seloc manual online for that engine. I had one and it was pretty helpful.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.