Battery Recommendation Requested

Have a 2017 Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW w/ 75 HP Mercury 4-stroke that came with 2 batteries -- Cranking & Electronics (2 small Lowrance graphs): Interstate 24M-XHD and 12V Trolling: Interstate SRM-27.

I recently upgraded my TM and Electronics (Lowrance Ghost 24V TM, 2 HDS-Live 12" units and Lowrance Active Target). I added a second Interstate Deep Cycle when I went to 24V (a Interstate 27DC). I also swapped out the original NOCO Genius 2-bank charger for a 3-bank Minn Kota 345PC Onboard Charger, that reportedly supports AGM batteries.

Haven't had any issues making it thru a day of fishing until just the other day. It is possible that I may have forgotten to plug in my charger the night before. But 1/2 way thru the day, I couldn't start the outboard motor. All my electronics were still working. There just wasn't enough juice to get the motor to turn over; it was close. Used the TM to get back to the ramp.

I've took a look thru the various forums here re: similar issues and it sounds like I need to upgrade the a Group 31 AGM dual-purpose battery. Problem is the aluminum battery shelf is along the left side of the gas tank and doesn't appear to be wide enough accommodate the extra length of a Group 31. It currently accommodates the 2 Group 27 plastic battery trays which are screwed to the aluminum lipped shelf.

NOTE: I just removed all 3 batteries and measured the width of the aluminum battery shelf. Looks like it's approx 13.5" wide (see attached pic). I think I found a Group 31 battery tray that'll fit.

Would a Group 27 dual-purpose battery suffice, or should I try to go for a Group 31? AGM?

Thanks in advance.

Battery Tray.jpg
    Last edited by IMRedeemed; 09-20-2021 at 04:52 PM.

2. Member
    Group 31 is needed. Look at Sam's Club for a Duracell. Mine holds up well even in a tournament.

3. Member
    You need a battery larger than the 24 to start the motor and keep the 12 screens running all day and if it was the old 24 XHD it could be bad.

4. Banned
    I fit 2 27s and a group 31 cranking battery in my Tracker 175. I can run 3 graphs, livewell and power pole all day without any issues, I also have Led strip lights for fishing at night that pull 9 amps when they are all on and I have used them for hours as well without issue.
    20210709_181357.jpg

5. Member
    Thx much!

6. Member
    Thx!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman73 View Post
    I fit 2 27s and a group 31 cranking battery in my Tracker 175. I can run 3 graphs, livewell and power pole all day without any issues, I also have Led strip lights for fishing at night that pull 9 amps when they are all on and I have used them for hours as well without issue.
    20210709_181357.jpg
    Ahh, looks like you turned your 27s 90-degrees! What year is your Tracker 175? I just tried turning my 27s sideways and they won't fit in the stock aluminum tray. Did you modify the battery tray, or just put something underneath it to raise the batteries? And are they then mounted in a 2 battery plastic tray with the strap, or did you just attach the strap to whatever is underneath?

What Group 31 are you running? And what charger do you have for all of them? Thx for the pic, too!
    Last edited by IMRedeemed; 09-21-2021 at 08:38 AM.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IMRedeemed View Post
    Ahh, looks like you turned your 27s 90-degrees! Great idea! Are they mounted in a dual Group 27 Battery Tray? If so, where did you find that? Or did you just mount a strap to the existing aluminum tray?

What Group 31 are you running? And what charger do you have for all of them? Thx for the pic, too!
    Its a double tray I got from Amazon, the battery is a Diehard group 31 Commercial from Advance, charger is a Minnkota MK315. 20210604_181240.jpg

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...p30/11968148-P

9. Member
    Thx for the second pic and link! What year is your Tracker 175? I just tried turning my 27s sideways and they won't fit in the stock aluminum tray. Did you modify the battery tray, or just put something underneath it to raise the batteries?

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IMRedeemed View Post
    Thx for the second pic and link! What year is your Tracker 175? I just tried turning my 27s sideways and they won't fit in the stock aluminum tray. Did you modify the battery tray, or just put something underneath it to raise the batteries?
    Its a 2010, the trays fit fine with no modifications.