22 Nitro Z19
    23P fury 3 blade
    prop to pad 5” from factory
    2 peeps 215# & 130# 25 gal fuel, no gear

5480 rpm’s at full throttle. Per vessel view
    64 mph at 3800 feet elevation

Im going to raise my PTP to 3.5”
    Will that help with an increase in RPM?
    Guessing my next option is to drop in pitch?

2. Member
    5" seems really deep. I would think raising it is order, but would probably not go straight to 3.5". Most of the knowledgably people around here advocate raising in increments. You could also search "pad" in the Nitro forum for discussions of your boat or Nitros in general.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    5" seems really deep. I would think raising it is order, but would probably not go straight to 3.5". Most of the knowledgably people around here advocate raising in increments. You could also search "pad" in the Nitro forum for discussions of your boat or Nitros in general.
    Most of the guys in the nitro forum are right around 3.5” so I figured I’d just go there first. I’ll take tolls to the lake next week and adjust accordingly if needed.

Congrats on finally getting the new rig. Have you ensured the basics have been checked? I wouldn’t change props yet until you tick off a few items,
    Are you getting 100% Demand Linear?
    Are these rpm’s at full trim?
    Do you have a slide adjuster hotfoot and have moved this forward?
    Do you have a 1.85 or 1.75 ratio lower unit?
    Yes, 5” PTP is way too deep, go up to 3.5” and test it
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Do you have a slide adjuster hotfoot and have moved this forward?
    What is this issue?

It’s only an issue if it means the pedal now hits against the console before it reaches its full stroke

7. Member
    Dealership confirmed 100% on demand linear.
    Yes trimmed her up for full rpms. Maybe could have got to 5500?
    hotfoot is where factory set it. Not hitting console.
    1.85 lower unit

I absolutely love the custom colors I went with and how the boat rides!!! So soooo much better than my aluminum ranger jet boat.

8. Member
    BTW, I am not getting close to 6,000 on mine yet either, but it's been hot as hell down here, and I am not going to fully judge until it cools off and I get more hours on my engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetch114 View Post
    Dealership confirmed 100% on demand linear.
    Yes trimmed her up for full rpms. Maybe could have got to 5500?
    hotfoot is where factory set it. Not hitting console.
    1.85 lower unit

I absolutely love the custom colors I went with and how the boat rides!!! So soooo much better than my aluminum ranger jet boat.
    Glad to hear, and looks like you’ve covered most bases, once you raise it up, you should see improvement but that prop and gear ratio is a good combo.

10. Member
    Sounds good. I was hoping to get a little close to 5800-6000 on RPMs I’ll see how she does now. My PTP was actually 5.5”. I moved it up to 3.5. Will see how it goes Thursday morning.

11. mikesxpress
    Your at 3800 feet elevation. None of us sea level rig comparisons can be utilized.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Your at 3800 feet elevation. None of us sea level rig comparisons can be utilized.
    +1

And with the 1.85 ratio gearcase, you'll also see different performance compared to other setups.

More than likely you will be dropping pitch considerably, if you will be at that elevation most of the time. Get your engine height close, and don't be afraid to try a 21P prop if you can get your hands on one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Update on my numbers.
    I moved my PTP to 3 5/8” and loaded fish gear
    also 215# me and 130# girlfriend.

At 4100 elevation I’m getting 5500 RPM and 61 mph
    At 3400elevation I’m at 5620 and 63.5 mph but started to chime walk so I think I can get a little more.
    will be headed to a lake that’s 2200 elevation in a few weeks and curious to see what I get there?
    thinking I could drop to a 22p prop but not sure I really need to?
    Thoughts ?????
    Hole shot and acceleration is crazy fast and I love it!

14. mikesxpress
    Prop it for the elevation your going to frequent most and deal with it at the others or spend some more $ and prop for each location. Regardless, it still needs to run at 6200 rpms at WOT to obtain the best fuel economy and maximize performance across all the power bands. Going up/down in elevation creates allot of issues in getting this benchmark.

15. Member
    Thank you. I’ll try and get a 21p then as I will be 38-4400 elevations most often. 23p will serve as a good spare. An no. I’m not into or able to afford swapping props at every lake. Haha

16. Member
    I guess here’s a question? Is there any reason why I can’t adjust the set bolt behind the hotfoot pedal to get more throttle? Looks like I could gain about 1/2”

17. mikesxpress
    It's been set for demand/demand linear with a laptop & Mercury G3 software. Don't mess with it.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    It's been set for demand/demand linear with a laptop & Mercury G3 software. Don't mess with it.
    +1

If the "Dealership confirmed 100% Demand Linear" as stated in Post #7, they also confirmed that the stop screw was PRECISELY correct.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor