Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Copolymer line least memory

What line do you use. C-rig, T-rig and shaky head.

Maybe not the most helpful as I have two comments that don't directly answer the question as I don't have a ton of experience with different copolys. I think they relate really closely to your questions, though, and I do have one recommendation for something I've had luck with.

First is that I've learned you really, really have to watch line diameters on copolys. This really goes for all line out there, maybe even mostly for braid, though I think the difference is that people are generally aware of that. I've seen insane differences in diameters for a given lb test rating in the copoly world too. P-line CXX is probably the classic example here: 12 lb test is 0.37 mm in diameter. Compare to even a line from the same brand, P-line C21 which checks in at 0.29 mm for 12 lb test. You're between 17 lb (0.36mm) and 20 lb (0.39 mm) in C21 to get to the same diameter as 12 lb CXX. Their Floroclear is only 0.31 mm for 12 lb test. Yes, CXX is very tough and low stretch. Or...is it really if you compare by diameter?

That's related to the second comment: I've found that the less memory line has, the more stretch and less abrasion resistance it has. This goes for fluoro too, but copoly especially. Lines that are thicker for a given rating also tend to have worse memory, though I think that's kind of expected since heavier line usually has worse memory. CXX has terrible memory compared to similar offerings. Or...does it really if you compare by diameter?

Maxima Ultragreen is really tough, low-stretch stuff for a non-fluoro line that I also think tends to have less memory than CXX. It also comes in a little thick compared to other lines of a given lb test rating, though it's not as "under rated"/"over sized" coming in at 0.33 mm for 12 lb test just to use the same example as above. If I'm going to use something that isn't braid and isn't fluoro, Ultragreen is it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    IMO, "least memory" and C-rig, T-rig, shakey head makes it a tough decision in a co-poly.

4. Member
    My buddy likes Mc Coy. I'm going to spool up a reel with it to see what i think since i use p line cxx xtra strong most times. If i could still get 20 Lb. clear blue flourescent mono in big game i'd still be using it.

5. Member
    Izorline is my preference for copolymer .
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Izorline is my preference for copolymer .
    If they only made it in clear blue.

7. Member
    Guys, thanks for all the input.
    WS in the Izorline line, XXXsuper or the Platinum. I have used the Izorline Spectra braid for years in 12lb test, can't beat it.

8. Member
    Izorline sizes.

C-rig and T-rig 12-15 lb line.

Shakey Head and ned rig 6-8 lb

Like the XXX better but it's just my preference.

FWIW I also like P-Line copolymer
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

9. Scraps
    I believe the best I've used has been the Gamma Polyflex. Think that's it, purple box. Have used and also like Yo-Zuri Hybrid, Izorline and McCoy.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Banned
    I tried both Suffix Advance and P line C21 this year, and I had far more break offs than when I used Trilene big game or Stren original. It didn't seem like it was more sensitive either, so far I have seen no advantage to coplymer compared to regular mono.

11. Member
    McCoy Mean Green. Always douse your spoil with a line conditioner the night before if possible.

12. Member
    Only time I use a copolymer is on finesse baits. Low memory and very strong. I skip finesse worms, Ned rigs and wacky worms with my spinning rods exclusively with Fluroclear by PLine.

Was a big fan of Pradco Excalibur and Super Silver Thread, but they apparently went out of the line business. Both were rather large and perhaps stretchier than others, but I liked them. McCoy's is good stuff, and relatively easy to get. On recommendation of some BBC regulars, I've tried P-Line CXX and found it to be tough but somewhat curly. Lately, I've been trying out Sunline Super Natural and should measure it, but haven't yet. It seems quite small for the 12 lb test I've been using on Shakyheads and "Bubba Drop Shotting" (baitcasters for both). I'm not entirely sure about the durability side of it, but it is nice to use and worth a try. I tried 10 lb Izorline of some type on a spinning reel and found it to be absolutely horrible from a memory pov. I stripped it all off in the boat and reloaded with McCoy's, and that's the only time I've ever gotten that PO'd at any line.

I would like to add that our club had the original owner of McCoy's come and talk as our entertainment one month. He said that Monofiliment is made from one type of nylon, while CoPolymer was made from more than one type of Nylon. He said there were many types of nylon, and I think the number was around 56. The combinations give various traits that are sought out, such as pliability, stretch, strength, etc. Sadly, the terms "mono" and "copoly" are commonly mixed and I'm not sure even the line manufacturers label is trustworthy on this. Does it matter? I kinda like to know what my line is made from, and oh, yeah, I've tried several Fluorocarbons and think it's mostly hype and $$$.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

14. Member
    I just responded 2 spinning rods with 6# flouaclear(pline). Spool was about 15 years old. Went fishing the next day and the line was amazing on both rods. I'm all out of light line from storage so I gotta purchase some this winter. Probably get some more flouraclear. I had great results with 5# sunline super sniper floracarbon years ago so I may get some of that.
    I've had line in storage since mid 90 s still works great.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

15. Member
    What about suffix advance mono? I'm not sure if it's a copoly or not, but after having issues with flouro I've gone to this for a nice low stretch option. I use it for top waters, spinnerbaits and crankbaits though. Not sure how it would do otherwise.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    What about suffix advance mono? I'm not sure if it's a copoly or not, but after having issues with flouro I've gone to this for a nice low stretch option. I use it for top waters, spinnerbaits and crankbaits though. Not sure how it would do otherwise.
    Didn’t hold up very good at all in rock for me.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Didn’t hold up very good at all in rock for me.
    I didn't like it that much either, I broke off a few fish with it so I switched back to Big Game.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I believe the best I've used has been the Gamma Polyflex. Think that's it, purple box. Have used and also like Yo-Zuri Hybrid, Izorline and McCoy.
    That would be my choice also, used it for 10 years!

19. Member
    I have tried the Izor, Suffix Advanced and the Pline CXX. None were great. CXX was the best of the three. The only mono/copoly I will use anymore is Trilene Big Game or Sunline Defier. The Defier is by far the best.

I’ve used P-Line CX Premium for years and like it very much. After awhile on the spool it will get the coils but all of them do. I have used CXX but found it just too dang stiff and ornery.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast