Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I've used every type mono/copoly listed above and CXX is best for driving single hook past the soft plastic and into some of the bone plates of bass...this said it doesn't handle the best without warm weather/water and being stretched out.

Sunline Defier is the best handling mono I've ever used, but not anywhere near my first choice for single hook plastics/jigs/spinnerbaits/chatters/etc. A mixture of Izorline Platinum + Gamma Polyflex would be just about right. Sunline Defier Armilo perhaps?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Was a big fan of Pradco Excalibur and Super Silver Thread, but they apparently went out of the line business. Both were rather large and perhaps stretchier than others, but I liked them. McCoy's is good stuff, and relatively easy to get. On recommendation of some BBC regulars, I've tried P-Line CXX and found it to be tough but somewhat curly. Lately, I've been trying out Sunline Super Natural and should measure it, but haven't yet. It seems quite small for the 12 lb test I've been using on Shakyheads and "Bubba Drop Shotting" (baitcasters for both). I'm not entirely sure about the durability side of it, but it is nice to use and worth a try. I tried 10 lb Izorline of some type on a spinning reel and found it to be absolutely horrible from a memory pov. I stripped it all off in the boat and reloaded with McCoy's, and that's the only time I've ever gotten that PO'd at any line.

I would like to add that our club had the original owner of McCoy's come and talk as our entertainment one month. He said that Monofiliment is made from one type of nylon, while CoPolymer was made from more than one type of Nylon. He said there were many types of nylon, and I think the number was around 56. The combinations give various traits that are sought out, such as pliability, stretch, strength, etc. Sadly, the terms "mono" and "copoly" are commonly mixed and I'm not sure even the line manufacturers label is trustworthy on this. Does it matter? I kinda like to know what my line is made from, and oh, yeah, I've tried several Fluorocarbons and think it's mostly hype and $$$.
    This is pretty much my thinking also, for least memory I like original Stren mono., Pradco Super Silver Thread and Mccoys. Of course there is going to be some stretch that you have to consider as a tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    This is pretty much my thinking also, for least memory I like original Stren mono., Pradco Super Silver Thread and Mccoys. Of course there is going to be some stretch that you have to consider as a tradeoff.
    Of the Pradco lines, Excalibur was the least offended by use on a spinning reel, and I preferred the SST for its slightly increased stiffness on baitcasters. McCoy's is always reliable stuff for me, but I've cut down from 10 lb upper limit on spinning to 8 lb test. I was really happy when McCoy's came out with a clear version of their copolymer line, because I can see it a lot better than the green.

The one thing about line with "the curls" is that it makes the line very visible and works a bit like a flag for line watching.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Of the Pradco lines, Excalibur was the least offended by use on a spinning reel, and I preferred the SST for its slightly increased stiffness on baitcasters. McCoy's is always reliable stuff for me, but I've cut down from 10 lb upper limit on spinning to 8 lb test. I was really happy when McCoy's came out with a clear version of their copolymer line, because I can see it a lot better than the green.

The one thing about line with "the curls" is that it makes the line very visible and works a bit like a flag for line watching.
    Agree, I loved the 10-14 lb. SST for cranking, and it would last for many months as long as you stretched it occasionally. I am on my last bulk spool, so I will have to make a choice pretty soon.

If you're looking for the toughest line with less memory, then I would recommend Izorline XXX Super Mono. It's a coplolymer.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I use yozuri hybrid on some moving bait setups and if I have bad memory, I intentionally take out about a cast worth of line and stretch it. This can be done by tying or hooking the line to a boat cleat and just giving it a couple tugs by keeping the rod tip pointed directly at wherever it is tied up to. Takes a lot of the coiling out great.

FWIW, I use 12lb for these most of the time which I think is close to other brands' 14/17 lb diameter lines so its not horrible from a management standpoint.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    I use yozuri hybrid on some moving bait setups and if I have bad memory, I intentionally take out about a cast worth of line and stretch it. This can be done by tying or hooking the line to a boat cleat and just giving it a couple tugs by keeping the rod tip pointed directly at wherever it is tied up to. Takes a lot of the coiling out great.

FWIW, I use 12lb for these most of the time which I think is close to other brands' 14/17 lb diameter lines so its not horrible from a management standpoint.
    +1, I do the same with all my monos. and copolys. except I tie off or hook to something in the yard and pretty much walk off all the line down to where I have it joined with some old line in the spool. This extends the life of the line for at least several weeks. Years ago, a local pro told me he used your method on all his flipping/pitching setups where I believe he was either using Stren High Impact of Berkley Big Game. I figure a lot of the pros still use the BBG regardless of what the patch on their shirt says.

8. Member
    The pline premium doesn't seem to have bad memory. It says one third the stretch and it's pretty thin, thin as some fluros. If you need tougher you can go up on diameter. It's not as sensitive as fluro or braid, imo. The whole point of it is its cheap compared to fluro so if it coils just put on some more. I think I can cast it farther than the fluro I use as well.

^^i like the P line Cx premium as well for most co poly applications
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12