Question 1992 150 Johnson fast strike running hot

I have a 150 1992 Johnson fast strike and I keep getting the hot alarm sounding off when I raise the RPM over 3000 . I have replaced the water pump the Exhaust cup with new gaskets. Replaced both thermostats and the left two wire heat sensor I unplugged the one on the right to see if alarm would not come on but it still came on, to exclude it. Anyone have experience this or have any Idea where to start to eliminate this issue?
    Joe

For best results, I would post this in the Evinrude/Johnson section in the Motors Forum just down the page.... Some great help there.

3. Member
    I had an alarm on my 95 intruder 150 that seemed like overheat but didn't happen all the time. Turns out it was a crankcase vent tube problem. Kind of different but dealer fixed it.

4. Member
    It’s probably a poppet valve if Johnson’s have one. Mercury’s have them. Thermostats control water flow at low RPMs. Poppet valves control take over the water flow at higher RPMs. I’m not sure if your year model has “water deflectors”. My old 88 GT150 had “water deflectors” that would deflect water around the cylinders to keep them cool. They were round and they were about the diameter of an aaa battery. They were about an inch or so tall and made of rubber. Over time they would lose their shape and become hard and they would also become oblong and block the water flow around the cylinders. This would cause overheating at slightly higher RPMs. They were very easy to change but it did require removing the cylinder covers.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Anderson View Post
    I have a 150 1992 Johnson fast strike and I keep getting the hot alarm sounding off when I raise the RPM over 3000 . I have replaced the water pump the Exhaust cup with new gaskets. Replaced both thermostats and the left two wire heat sensor I unplugged the one on the right to see if alarm would not come on but it still came on, to exclude it. Anyone have experience this or have any Idea where to start to eliminate this issue?
    Joe

When it happens, does the motor go into SLOW mode until it cools down? OR does the horn sound solid and not SLOW mode? Does the alarm go away when you back off the throttle? That is indicative of a Fuel restriction. Alerting you to a high vacuum draw on the fuel system. Your motor doesn't have the items that Mike mentioned.